Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirect Malware Infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 joshalden

joshalden

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:25 AM

Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 7110 running Windows 7 64bit.

About two weeks ago my computer became infected with a virus. The virus created messages that look similar to Windows alerts trying to convince me my computer was in dire peril and to 'click here' to download a fix. I didn't. My McAfee did locate the virus after a scan and removed it. But afterward my desktop icons were gone, most of the programs from my start menu, and most of my files were hidden. I did a system restore and that brought back my desktop icons and my start menu. I had to unhide all my files in my c: drive in lieu of going folder by folder.

Everything seems fairly normal now except when I try to use google to search, I am redirected to weird sites and 'search sites' often with nuggets of my original search. If I hit the back button a few times I can usually get to the site I was trying to reach, but not always. I notice that often the ip address 63.209.69.107 shows up in my browser.

I did some searches in an attempt to identify and remove the problem and that eventually led me here. I have found other valuable pieces of information on this site before, but never felt I had a situation dire enough to actually post here. It seems like a great service for computer users.

I have two detriments when it comes to this sort of thing; I am in my late forties and while I know my way around a computer, I am not very tech savvy. And I have no innate editor in my brain so I tend to be wayyy too wordy. If you are willing to help me with the former, I will try to curb the latter. I realize after reading your information that the people who help guys like my with their computers are all volunteers. I think that extremely admirable and I thank you in advance for whatever help you may be able to provide.

Josh

Edited by joshalden, 13 December 2011 - 01:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hello and Welcome to the forums!

My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Somethings to remember while we are working together.

• Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!
  • Please Do not Attach logs or put in code boxes.
  • Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.
  • Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.
  • Do not run anything while running a fix.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

Click on the Watch Topic Button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.

In order for me to see the status of the infection I will need a new set of logs to start with.

Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.

DeFogger:

• Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
  • The application window will appear
  • Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers
  • Click Yes to continue
  • A 'Finished!' message will appear
  • Click OK
  • DeFogger may ask you to reboot the machine, if it does - click OK
Do not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.

Download DDS:

• Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:

Posted Image
    Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
    Link2
    Link3

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.

• Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.
    • Shortly after two logs will appear:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • A window will open instructing you save & post the logs
  • Save the logs to a convenient place such as your desktop
  • Copy the contents of both logs & post in your next reply

Scan With RKUnHooker

• Please Download Rootkit Unhooker Save it to your desktop.
  • Now double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it.
  • Click the Report tab, then click Scan.
  • Check (Tick) Drivers, Stealth,. Uncheck the rest. then Click OK.
  • Wait till the scanner has finished and then click File, Save Report.
  • Save the report somewhere where you can find it. Click Close.
Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.

Note** you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore

"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!
It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?"

"just click on Cancel, then Accept".

information and logs:

• In your next post I need the following

• .logs from DDS
  • log from RKUnHooker
  • let me know of any problems you may have had

Gringo

I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

If I Have Not Replied To One Of My Topics In 48 Hrs Please Bump The Topic

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

Proud Graduate Of Malware Removal University

#3 joshalden

joshalden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

Hello Gringo,

Thank you for helping me with this issue. I did have a problem with the RKUunhooker. When I tried to run it I received an exception error. It created a log called rku_error_log_7986471 in notepad. I tried erasing the program and downloading it again but it didn't seem to make any difference. Here is what the error log contains:
Exception code : 0xC0000005
Instruction address : 0x00402EAA
Attempt to read at address : 0xFFFFFFFF

The defogger and the DDS seemed to work fine. I'll go ahead an attach the DDS log for you here and see what you have to say about the rku thing.

Thank you again for your help!

Josh

Attached Files

• Attached File  DDS.txt   23.53KB   2 downloads

#4 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:09 AM

Hello

RKU is because you have a 64 bit computer

I Would like you to do the following.

Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.

Run Combofix:

You may be asked to install or update the Recovery Console (Win XP Only) if this happens please allow it to do so (you will need to be connected to the internet for this)

Before you run Combofix I will need you to turn off any security software you have running, If you do not know how to do this you can find out >here< or >here<

Combofix may need to reboot your computer more than once to do its job this is normal.

You can download Combofix from one of these links. I want you to save it to the desktop and run it from there.
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
1. Close any open browsers or any other programs that are open.
2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
When finished, it will produce a report for you.

Note 1: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall

Note 2: If you recieve an error "Illegal operation attempted on a registery key that has been marked for deletion." Please restart the computer

"information and logs"

• In your next post I need the following
  • Log from Combofix
  • let me know of any problems you may have had
  • How is the computer doing now?

Gringo
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

#5 joshalden

joshalden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:46 AM

Hello again, Gringo,

I ran the combofix software. I may have screwed it up in two ways; I turned of my McAfee firewall, auto scanner and my Adaware - but I set the Mcafee to turn itself back on in 30 minutes and the scan took an hour. When I first started the combofix scan I didn't think it was working so I double-clicked it about 5 times. I have a low computer patience threshold that often causes me problems.

But I followed all the other instructions you gave me! The scan only ran once and if there were problems the program didn't notify me of any. I am attaching the scan log for you. Nothing else happened of note.

I am still getting redirects from google. I hope I didn't mess everything up with the combofix...

I'll wait to hear from you.

Thank you again!

Josh

Attached Files

#6 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:01 AM

Hello

I want you to run this tool for me next.

tdsskiller:

Please read carefully and follow these steps.
  • Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.
  • doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.
  • If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.
  • If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

Gringo

#7 joshalden

joshalden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hello Gringo,

Seem to be having trouble with the tdsskiller. Seems to have downloaded alright. When I doubleclick Windows 7 asks me if I want to run the program. When I click allow, though, the program never comes up and doesn't show up as an application or in the processes.

As with the other, I tried deleting it and downloading it again, but still no jueno.

The computer has added another annoyance to the list of symptoms. When I have hotmail and bleepingcomputer running simultaneously Firefox stops working and Windows shuts it down. I haven't noticed this with any other programs running at the same time as yet.

Josh

Edited by joshalden, 17 December 2011 - 01:10 PM.

#8 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Hello

I would like you to run this tool for me - fixTDSS

download it to your desktop and start the program

Follow the prompts and Ok any security prompts

when it is complete it will say the infection was cleared or no infection was found - let me know what it says

after it is complete I want you to restart the computer and try to rerun TDSSKiller for me and send me the report

Gringo

#9 joshalden

joshalden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:37 AM

Hello Gringo,

Was able to run the fixtdss. It found an infection and said it was removed successfully. I saved the log, but upon restart windows could not open. I ran a windows auto-fix that presented itself and also tried to restore to a couple of different restore points but to no avail. I'll watch for your reply. I am using safari on my cell phone and it doesn't always work like I'd like...

Josh

#10 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:48 AM

Greetings

I need you to make a bootable usb and to make a screenshot for me - follow the instructions below to do this

How to create a bootable Puppy USB Drive

• Download and save a copy of the latest Puppy ISO file
  • Download and save a copy of Unetbootin for Windows.
  • Insert an empty formatted USB drive into a USB port on the computer that's being used to create the bootable USB.
  • Launch Unetbootin ....
  • Ensure that Disk Image is selected.
  • Using the browse button ... browse to and select the Puppy ISO file.
  • Ensure that Type: is set to USB Drive and that the Drive: letter corresponds to the USB drive.
  • Click OK
Unetbootin will now copy the Puppy files to the USB and make it a bootable device.

Next

You need to change the boot order of the computer to boot from a USB drive ....

• Read HERE for instructions how to do this.

Now boot into Puppylinux

when you get to the desktop Click on each of the drive items found in the bottom left corner to mount them (when mounted they will have a red cross next to them)

Next - Launch GParted which is found at Menu > System > GParted partition manager,
Click to select All Drives then click Okay
I need you to take a screenshot of the window that opens up - to do this follow these instructions

To take a screenshot in Puppy ....

With the GParted window open ...

• Click menu > Graphic > mtPaint-snapshot screen capture
  • A small window will open ....

• Click Capture Now
    • Click OK
  • The mtPaint program will open ....
    • Click File > Save
    • Double click on ../
    • Double click on mnt/
    • Double click on sdb1/
    • Set File Format to JPEG
    • Enter screenshot1 into the text box
    • Click OK

This will save a file screenshot1.jpeg into the USB drive, paste or attach this to your next post

Next

• Click menu > shutdown > power off computer
  • If prompted to save the session click on No

Puppy will now close down.

remove the usb and save it - we will use it again - boot back into windows and send me the screen capture

gringo

#11 joshalden

joshalden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:01 AM

Hey again. I am not sure I understand. Windows will not open on my computer at all now, not even in safe mode.. I am answering u using my iPhone.

#12 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:09 AM

hello

OK try this

System Recovery Environment

To access the System Recovery Environment , simply boot your PC,

• just before the system loads the Windows operating system, hit the [F8] Function 8 key on your keyboard which will launch the Advanced Boot Options menu.
  • There you will see a new option 'Repair Your Computer', select this option and hit 'Enter' on your keyboard.
  • Now, from the System Recovery Options dialog, select the "Operating System" you want to repair, then click Next:
  • From the "Choose a Recovery Tool" dialog menu, select "Command Prompt":
  • Type the following into the "Command Prompt Window": and press enter

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

If you have problems booting the computer after you have run that command boot back into the System Recovery Environment and Type the following into the "Command Prompt Window": and press enter

bootrec.exe /fixboot

#13 joshalden

joshalden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:39 AM

Both commands completed successfully but when I x'd out of the command prompt window and chose restart neither command made any change unfortunately.

#14 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:46 AM

during startup I want you to press F10

jott down what it says and let me know

gringo

#15 joshalden

joshalden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

Ok, it says

Edit windows boot options for: windows 7

Path: \windows\system32\winload.exe