Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mij.exe can't run explorer/mozilla

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dj Tantra

Dj Tantra

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

Any help would be appreciated. This could not have come at a worse time (have finals).

Earlier tonight I was searching for some music and I seem to have gotten infected. My Mozilla crashed and a scan appeared (fraudulent one). When I checked my processes mij.exe seemed to be the culprit.

I am on windows xp. Now whenever I try to go online or open malwarebytes I get mij.exe. I am writing this on my iPhone right now.

I wound up running my comp in safe mode and executed malwarebytes through my external harddrive. Although I am now able to run it... Oddly enough it is not picking up any Trojans/viruses.

I'd really appreciate any prompt help as I have finals starting Thursday and this netbook is the only computer I have.

If I have to run apps/programs It may be tough as I can't access the Internet through the comp but I may be able to loan a computer, install the program on my external then run it through safe mode to the infected computer.

THANKS in advance for the help!!

-avanti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

Try this,go to

C:/windows/system32

Right click on

taskmgr

Select Run as

Uncheck Protect my computer from unauthorized activity

Click ok,this should launch your task manager

Now click on process tab

End the mij.exe process

Now go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data

Delete mjy file

Run the EXE fix

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

This would give you a temporary relief from the virus,you may still have traces of infection.

Senior BC members will assist you

Good luck

#3 Dj Tantra

Dj Tantra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:14 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am able to open task mgr to end the process but whenever I run the Internet or anti anti malware the mij.exe comes back.

I went into documents and settings like you said but did not find the specified file.

Thanks again though.

#4 Dj Tantra

Dj Tantra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:34 AM

After multiple tries, I was able to open the link and it seems to have fixed the registry and allows me to run mbam!

Thanks so much!

I am hoping MBAM will clean up any infections but am hopeful that if it won't some members will chime in to let me know how I can do the rest of the clean up.

Considering I'm using a netbook, is there a low resource intensive program I can use to actively monitor my system to prevent this? I think a full-fledge anti-virus will just slow down this already slow netbook so much. Additionally, many users tell me apples never get these kinds of viruses...I think it is inevitable that I will have to replace this netbook soon- should I consider apple to avoid these types of issues? I think I may be getting off on a tangent here- let me know if I should do a search/open a new thread.

Very much appreciate the help and input!

#5 Dj Tantra

Dj Tantra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:03 AM

Update:

This thing is definitely alive and still kicking...I'm getting lots of weird .exe s on my task manager...one of them being ping.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users