Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data not showing on some partitions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ramrider

Ramrider

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

WinXP 32 bit, Hitachi hard drive. I had a failure (hardware, software, virus or trojan, don't know which) All desktop icons disappeared from the screen and programs that were opened, closed. I tried and rebooted and the same screen without icons came up, I then rebooted to safe mode and started to run virus scans. I noticed I had information on C, D, F and none on D. Finally ended up re-installing winXP and ended up with nothing showing in D and E but files showing in F. Checked Disk Management and it showed all the drives active and data on all drives and free space, it also indicated all partitions were healthy. So it seems my data is still on the disk but not showing when going to the drives. I tried running scandisk on those drives and it didn't help. Don't know where to go from here.

Thanks in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

Are all these physically different drives or a single drive partitioned?

#3 Ramrider

Ramrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Actually one hard drive with partitions.

I did find the cause of the problem though. It seems the drives had switched to "hidden Files and Folders", "Do not show hidden files and Folders". So I unchecked that and every thing came back up thankfully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users