I'm new to this forum. I would welcome any help with my unstable, quirky laptop. I'm not sure if my system is viral or not?? Here are some examples of things I've noticed.
1. Microsoft Updates - use to work, now the icon appears for a brief second on boot-up then disappears...like its being blocked by another program that's loading or something?? (Haven't been able to update in months)
2. Other Updates - use to get Adobe Flash, Java and other pop up program updates (Haven't seen those in awhile)
3. Malwarebytes throws an error when running (not sure ? it is - I have to push "Don't Send"). Did a re-install of MBAM and still have intermittent issues during scans.
4. Browser redirects occasionally...perhaps because of Firefox add-ons (AdBlock Plus & NoScript)??
5. Extremely slow system boot up with screen flashes occasionally (sometimes takes 7-10 minutes to load tray icons and connect to the internet)
1. Malwarebytes detected PUM.BAD.PROXY 3 days in a row (quarantined & deleted but continued to return). I don't use a proxy and web searches are useless for that specific virus.
2. Avast! detected Win32:Agent.AIFY.Trj in C:\hiberfil.sys during boot time scan (I disabled hibernation and that problem went away and hasn't returned).
Avast! forums seemed to indicate that can be a false positive perhaps..
3. Avast! also detected several Java:Agent-AEH[Expl] and JSON\Threadparser.class viruses during scans in the past (ALL those have been deleted by Avast! successfully and have not returned)
**Please Note - All anti-virus, spyware and malware programs are on a daily schedule and always up to date. I also use additional protection (listed below).
Again, I'm not sure if I'm infected, but thought I would reach out to see.
Thank you BleepingComputer,
[System] WINXP Pro SP3, Windows Firewall, Malwarebytes, Super Anti-Spyware, Avast!, WinPatrol, SpywareBlaster, NoScript, AdBlock Plus