Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unusual Problem, Possibly Malware

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hankroberts

hankroberts

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:44 PM

New here so tell me what you need. The computer is a laptop (Dell Inspiron 5160) that was massively infected. Have cleaned everything I can find, and the HJT logs look good to two different sites I posted them. Here's the continuing problem.

Randomly and periodically, whatever program I have running will begin to open multiple sessions of its "Help" window. If I'm on the Internet the IE Help Center will begin to open multiple windows/sessions; if nothing particular is open then the Windows Help Center begins to do this. There seems to be no pattern to when it happens. I might go several days before an event, or it might happen four or five times in one evening. Doesn't relate to internet activity (often I'm not even connected to the cable).

When this begins it opens sessions at the rate of three or four times a SECOND, and continues until I reboot. Rebooting seems to end the process for an indefinite period of time.

I can't even find anyone else who's ever heard of this problem. Hoping someone here can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users