Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Antivirus 2012 - vanished into thin air?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 escott06

escott06

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

I followed the guide on this site to remove Win 7 Antivirus 2012. However, when I was installing and updating Malwarebytes, I got an error window saying that lyi.exe encountered a problem and needed to be closed. After closing it, I kept going with MWB, which ran a full scan with no infections found. Win 7 Antivirus 2012 never started up again, even after I ran another full scan and restarted my computer. However, Windows Firewall isn't working. When I click "turn Windows Firewall on or off", I get a window that is blank other than an area saying "Windows Firewall is not using the recommended settings" and a button saying "use recommended settings". Clicking on that results in: "Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x80070424"

Did Win 7 Antivirus 2012 spontaneously explode, and take the firewall down with it? The only thing protecting that computer now is Windows Security Essentials, but there's still no sign of the Rogue. Thanks in advance for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Macho27

Macho27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

It's a fake antivirus (Dangerous rogue software) It disable certain anti-virus/anti-malware software installed on the computer that keep you safe also take over firefox and internet explorer ect ... . A good way to remove it is to disable xp anti-virus 2012 or w 7 anti-virus you will have to bring up task-manger press ctrl + alt+ delete key all at the same time, then you will have find any 3 letter exe file . Like nyo.exe under the processes tab end process then you can remove it off your computer with this fake antvirus removal software link just copy and paste to your address bar: http://freeofvirus.blogspot.com/2009/05/remove-fake-antivirus-10.html
On the right top click on Remove fake antivirus

Edited by Macho27, 13 December 2011 - 06:53 PM.

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hi

Download both the registry files

<links removed for security reasons>

Launch and import them to registry

Restart your PC

Now,open RUN and type

regedit and click ok

go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BFE

Right click on it-permissions

Click on ADD and type

Everyone and click ok

Now Click on Everyone

Below you have permission for users

Select full control and click ok

Now,open RUN and type

services.msc and click ok

start base filtering engine service and then windows firewall service

:thumbup2:

Edited by elise025, 17 December 2011 - 08:09 AM.
links removed

#4 escott06

escott06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

Thank you for the advice. I've never heard of a virus fatally crashing, but it seems to be gone. I wondered if something from the removal guide messed up the virus enough that it crashed, but it was strange that MWB didn't find anything. Since this is the second time I've gotten this kind of virus, I decided to invest in a paid antivirus program instead of relying on free ones.

#5 thissucksballs

thissucksballs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hi

Download both the registry files
<links removed>

Launch and import them to registry

Restart your PC

Now,open RUN and type

regedit and click ok

go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BFE

Right click on it-permissions

Click on ADD and type

Everyone and click ok

Now Click on Everyone

Below you have permission for users

Select full control and click ok

Now,open RUN and type

services.msc and click ok

start base filtering engine service and then windows firewall service

:thumbup2:

Thanks. I'm stuck at starting the base filtering engine service and then windows firewall. When I start it, I keep getting "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users