Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP SP3 Ping.exe virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 jbslatest

jbslatest

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

computer started out this morning with avg detecting several resident shield viruses. noticed ping.exe was using my entire system resources. Firefox was hijacked and started opening random pages. Shut computer down and rebooted into safe mode. Cannot do system restore, tried several restore points with no sucess. Ran Malewarebytes, backdoor generic14.cbjj found and supposedly deleted. Ran spybot s&d couple of harmful intrys found. Ran avg in safemode trojan horse c:\windows\sytem32\Drivers\netbt.sys. virus fsquirt.exe found and deleted. Now are booted into safe mode with no connectivity and still obvious that my computer is sick. Need help with how to get back online and get the tools to help me correct this virus

Edited by Budapest, 12 December 2011 - 05:34 PM.
Moved from XP ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 jbslatest

jbslatest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

Broni, thank u for your reply and I an will follow the above request but I needed to let you know that my biggest issue to getting this started is the fact that my computer that has this problem will not connect to the internet due to this virus. I have even tried to boot to safe mode with connectivity and the first time i did that it allowed me access to update malewarebytes and spybot. Now I dont seem to have connectivity either with normal bootup or safe mode. Can u give some advice on how best to proceed?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,661 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Download necessary tools on the computer you're posting from and move them to bad computer using USB flash drive.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 jbslatest

jbslatest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

ok will do. Last question: I am in safe mode with networking, although not working because of netbt.sys corruption, on the bad computer. should I stay in safe mode or reboot normally to run these steps

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,661 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

If you can operate in normal mode it'd be better.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 jbslatest

jbslatest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

Just wanted to follow up to let you know that I ran all the logs u said from the prep guide and sent them to the proper forum as requested in guide on December 13 @ 11:21 p.m. but have not had any replies to my request for help. All of the issues on the page that I am on have evidently been solved and closed so I was wondering if something else need to be addressed. It seems that many of the requests that have already been solved have very similar things going on with there computer. Here is a link to my post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic432355.html. Any suggestions?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Now that your log is properly posted and replied to,to avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users