Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stuck at Boot, recovery CDs not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Obfuscated

Obfuscated

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer,
So I've been trying to solve this since it randomly started happening yesterday, but to no avail.
I have a Samsung Q430 Intel i5 with Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (SP1), and the computer randomly started to lag, so I restarted it. It logged in successfully the first few times, but became extremely laggy after login, until it froze up completely each time. I then tried the recovery CD, and it worked the first time, but nothing changed, and it was still laggy. However, the computer could not even get past the black loading screen anymore, and began on a continuous reboot cycle, each time ending with a flash of a BSOD that I couldn't catch. It restarts to two options: Launch startup repair or Start windows normally, both of which end up freezing and restarting.
I have tried:
-Safe Mode (worked first time, but was laggy, and now it just freezes during loading)
-Last Known good configuration (nothing happened)
-Recovery CD (becomes stuck while trying to find the OS, says "Drive E: 0 bytes, windows 7 and never finishes loading)
-Installation CD (stuck at entering setup screen)

The only thing that really works is the Ubuntu Live CD...
So, any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SYates

SYates

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

Attached File  disable-automatic-restart-system-failure.jpg   60.44KB   4 downloads

Try pressing F8 as the computer starts to get to the Advanced Boot Options and then select the "Disable automatic restart on system failure" option. When rebooting, your computer should now halt on the BSOD message. See if you can post what the BSOD message says here. I'm sure someone here could advise you once we know what the stop error is.

Good luck!

SYates

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

If the Ubuntu Live CD is working, it's a good time to backup any important data while you have the chance.

After you follow SYates post, you might also want to check your hard drive for errors.

Download the Diagnostic Test software for your hard drive manufacturer linked here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

• Download the DOS version and install it onto a floppy disk or burn the "Iso" image to a CD (Don't know how? See here).
  • If you don't know the manufacturer of your hard drive, download Seatools for DOS.
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Run the short test first and then the extended test. Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users