Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Typing is slow in Facebook text boxes

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 drw181

drw181

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

Typing is slow in Facebook text boxes, characters take a while to appear an you sometimes have to hit keys multiple times before they appear. All other websites and applications seem fine.

I am running Windows XP SP3. I have done all windows updates and as well updated Java and Flash.

I have downloaded Chrome and this issue does not exist in Chrome... it remains with IE8.

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2011 - 04:46 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

If you still have none of these softwares installed, please install them and do a full scan after updating to latest definition.
Free Malwarebytes
Superantispyware Free Edition
Make sure also that Empty temporary internet file folders when browser is closed is ticked under Tools - Internet options - Advanced tab. Regularly clean cache or junk files using Ccleaner also.

Tekken

#3 drw181

drw181
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

Thanks jhayz,

I have tried a number of fixes now including your suggestions with no solution. I had a friend guide me through som fixes.

- I have installed Malwarebytes
- I have reset IE and started it with no add ons
- I have disabled/enabled script debugging and others in the Advanced section of Internet Options
- I have used RKill to stop any processes.
- I have ran dial a fix
- I have ran CCleaner
- I have unistalled and reinstalled Java
- I have unistalled and reinstalled Flash
- I have made sure I have all updates from Microsft/Adobe Flash/Java
- Probably tried more things but as my friend was leading I ddi not track all....

What did work is Reverting Back to IE7... However I ran the IE8 install again and the problem came back. I do have 2 XP Pro computers both have mostly the same things installed... and only one has this issue with Facebook only (there may be other affected sites but none that I uses)

So now I have 2 possible workarounds (Chrome, or IE7)However as there are alot of people out there with this issue I would still like to see a fix. So I hope you guys have more suggestions and I will continue to try them an post back.

Your help is appreciated!!!
drw181

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

Could you confirm this by logging into facebook on a different PC?

Tekken

#5 drw181

drw181
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

Hi jayhayz,

I have 4 PC's at home

1) Windows XP Pro - has this issue when I log into Facebook.
2) Windows XP Pro - This PC does NOT have this issue with Facebook.
3) Windows Vista - This PC does NOT have this issue with Facebook.
4) Windows 7 - This PC does NOT have this issue with Facebook.

I have not checked yet but someone suggested this may have to do with silverlight? I think it has been isnatlled on the PC that is not working. Would this make sense?

Thanks,

Dale

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

Check Silverlight Add-on by Manage Add-ons and try disabling it to check on the difference.

Tekken

#7 drw181

drw181
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

I disabled silverlight and there was no change :(

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:58 AM

Check task manager for CPU and memory usage, performance tab while log-in/out of facebook.

Tekken

#9 drw181

drw181
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

Hey Jhayz,

There is definatley something going on there. When Facebook is logged in CPU usage is above 30% and spikes above 60-70% with facebook not running it hovers around 10 - 15% dropping to 1% and occasionally spiking above 20%. Memory usage shows a pagefile PF steady at 1.36 GB and I am only running IE for this site, hotmail, and FB. Closing any of these sites does not reduce PF size???

#10 izaca

izaca

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Typing is slow in Facebook text boxes, characters take a while to appear an you sometimes have to hit keys multiple times before they appear. All other websites and applications seem fine.

I am running Windows XP SP3. I have done all windows updates and as well updated Java and Flash.

I have downloaded Chrome and this issue does not exist in Chrome... it remains with IE8.

Copy the text between the dotted lines below, but not the lines, and paste it into a new Notepad document. Save it as a TXT file named anything (xpajax.txt would work) then rename that txt file toxpajax.reg. Right-click> Merge that REG file.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_AJAX_CONNECTIONEVENTS]
"iexplore.exe"=dword:00000000

Let me know if this fixes the problem.

#11 drw181

drw181
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Izaca... Thanks this registry entry fixed the issue Mystery Solved!!!

Thanks to Izaca and Jhayz for working on this issue for me... your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Copy the text between the dotted lines below, but not the lines, and paste it into a new Notepad document. Save it as a TXT file named anything (xpajax.txt would work) then rename that txt file toxpajax.reg. Right-click> Merge that REG file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_AJAX_CONNECTIONEVENTS]
"iexplore.exe"=dword:00000000

Let me know if this fixes the problem.

#12 tonnawd

tonnawd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

I did the copy and rename, but when I right click it I do not have a merge option. I have it saved in my docs. Where should I save it on order for it to work? :wacko:

#13 drw181

drw181
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hey Tonnawd,

I am guessing if you do not have the merge option your file name is not a .reg file. It does not matter what the file name is or where it is located as long as the extension is .reg

Right click on your file and select rename, then make sure the file name ends with .reg not .txt. You will get a warning thet the file may not be usable, agree and you will see the icon change from a notepad to a different icon picture.

After this you can just double click on the file and it will ask you if you are sure you want to merge this with your registry, accept this and you will be done.

Hope this helps!!!
drw181

#14 tonnawd

tonnawd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

Many thanks drw181! I did it over again and this time "saved as" xpajax.reg instead of saving to txt then renaming. It works beautifully! Thank you again for responding. :clapping:

Now that it is "merged" can I delete the file I saved?

Edited by tonnawd, 28 January 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#15 XP1

XP1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

Now that it is "merged" can I delete the file I saved?

Yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users