Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP 2012 gone, but system won't boot

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Bob.

Bob.

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

Hi,
New to the forum. Iím working on a friendís system. He called me when he started getting XP 2012 Security Center pop ups. Of course, his AV, System Restore et all were disabled by this virus. I popped in a Kapersky rescue disk and removed all malware except for 4 which Kapersky couldnít seem to remove. I removed these by removing the drive from his system (which I brought home), placing it in a machine via an esata dock (isolated from network) and running full scans of MSE and Malwarebytes. MSE found and removed the remaining viruses (AFAIK).

Now, however, the system is not booting.I cannot enter safe mode. Below are the things Iíve tried:

1)Chkdsk /p from the recovery console (his system is OEM, and doesnít have an XP Install CD for his XP Home Premium install, so I used my SS XP sp3 disc).
Errors are found, so I use the /r switch (/f is not available?). It seems to correct the errors, but there are no messages to indicate that other than the lack of any error message at all, even when running chkdsk /p again.

2)Fixmbr, fixboot. It Ďfixesí them.

3)Bootcfg /rebuild. This is where it gets interesting. The returned message is:

ďError: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.

Note: This operation must complete successfully in order for the /add or /rebuild commands to be utilized.Ē

Running chkdsk again does find another error, and the cycle begins again.

4)Run short and long Seagate Seatools diagnostics (drive is good)

5)Using the F8 key at startup, I disabled the auto-restart function. The result is a blue screen:
Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF79B7524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

6)Ran Seagate Seatools short and long tests (passed both)
XP Home Premium
So Iím kind of at a loss as to what to do next. Googling the error code gives info suggesting the I do the things Iíve listed above. The friend has no install disk and really doesnít want to reinstall and lose his setup (Iíve imaged the drive with ATI to preserve his data), so Iíd like to get his existing install back up, streamline it and get it back to him. Is it possible?

Thanks for any help,
Bob.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users