Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scam alert

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lolcats

lolcats

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

I received an email from my father in law today about a phone call he got yesterday. He wrote:

I got a call from a company that said they were Microsoft today telling me my computer was sending out information that I had a problem. They wanted me to click on the microsoft button and press the letter R. They really tried high pressure to get me to do it

After reading the email I Googled computer scam windows +r and found that this has been going on for quite a while in Australia and Canada.
Apparently the scammers are starting up in the United States. Just thought I'd give a heads up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

Yep, it has been going on for some time now... Not only in countries where people speak English, and not only via landline phones (scammers use Skype as well)...

A recent article on this: Phone scammers target PC users with phony virus reports

And an interesting quote from this article: Scammed pensioner told heavy rain caused computer virus infection

An Australian newspaper reports that a 93-year-old woman has been scammed by criminals who rang her up, pretending to be Microsoft, and told her that she had a virus infection on her computer.

(...)

According to the media reports:

Mrs Hamblin was told recent heavy rain and storms had caused more computer viruses to circulate.

Yes, you read that right.

:blink:
Posted Image
snemelk.hekko.pl - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

#3 goldhound

goldhound

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

I have been called several times by these criminals. No calls for quite a while now since i called them common criminals and said to go ahead and scan my computer because my custom rootkit would identify them personally, trash their entire network and take all their stolen money for charity. B)

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

I have been called several times by these criminals. No calls for quite a while now since i called them common criminals and said to go ahead and scan my computer because my custom rootkit would identify them personally, trash their entire network and take all their stolen money for charity. B)

Nice one, LOL. I can't wait for the day that we can really do this.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

hehe i wish they call me so i can scam them back :whistle: