Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet not connecting over seas..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Asha86x

Asha86x

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:55 AM

My friend is on a one month holiday to Poland, from Australia. He is staying with family who have wireless internet. His took his Mac laptop with him, but it wont connect to their internet. His Iphone connects to it with no problem, but his laptop continues to say wrong password, even though it is exactly the same as the password for the iphone.
Is it a continent thing? He has called the internet provider and they said they cant help him..
All he has really tried is talking to the internet provider.. and trying to connect several times with no luck..
Any help would be appreciated! thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

Maybe putting a dollar($)sign before the correct password key is the missing link.

Tekken

#3 Asha86x

Asha86x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:06 AM

Hrmm an update. It seems to be his Wi-fi. He connected somehow, by connecting his laptop by a cable to another laptop that was already hooked up to the network. Problem is, he can now only use his laptop when the other one is on, he cant plug it directly into the router because it only has one port thingo and that goes to the main computer..
would just be intersting to actually find out what is causing this even though it has been semi- solved

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

They must be using a software to make the laptop act as a hotspot to share internet connection wirelessly. Like this software -
Connectify

Tekken

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

jhayz,
With the greaatest respect, Asha86x said this laptop connected when connected by cable to another laptop - presumably ethernet.
Could it be that the wi-fi unit in the laptop has died, or at least failed in one direction ? This gave me no end of problems once when I was trying to set up an ad-hoc connection between my wife's old laptop and my desktop unit. At the time I knew rock-all about wireless networks, and it was only after I had installed a router access point I established what the problem with my wife's laptop was.
The solution was to install a wireless USB adapter on the laptop. Instant success.

Regards,
Chris Cosgrove <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users