Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I view an elusive Blue/Stop Screen information?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kameleo

Kameleo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

Greetings!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 notebook on which a Windows7 upgrade seems to have caused discrepancies followed by a crash. I used DiskPart to format/convert the disk's volumes to NTFS (as 2/3 were somehow on FAT32 or RAW) and I then did a clean install of Vista OS (using the original product key).
I fought with a “bootmgr missing” problem for days and Startup Repair wouldn't resolve it. I finally got over that issue with a bootrec/BCDedit but now, it fails to boot up in full and re-starts up in loop after displaying a blue screen of which I can't see the content because it just lasts nanoseconds...
Is there any way or function that could somehow lengthen the display of that stop screen so I can tend to whatever is wrong now?
Please note I can't seem to start in safe mode or any other way...

In advance, many thanks.

Kameleo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

Hi :).

<<...and I then did a clean install of Vista OS (using the original product key).>>

If I did a clean install and had problems right away...I would think that a diagnostic of the hard drive is in order. Did you run such...or the Dell Diagnostics package?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2011 - 07:40 AM.

#3 Kameleo

Kameleo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for your reply Louis.

RE: <<If I did a clean install and had problems right away...I would think that a diagnostic of the hard drive is in order. Did you run such...or the Dell Diagnostics package?>>

I have done so indeed - both through the disk repair; command prompt chk dsk available there and again earlier at startup. All tests came through fine and even while converting the volumes through DiskPart, the list/detail indicated all volumes were healthy.

Good news is it did eventually manage to boot up once earlier so I tried to move on with install and first made sure I disabled Automatic Restart so as to freeze the blue screen if it ever happened again...
I managed to download a couple of Windows Updates for which I needed to Restart. I postponed and made sure MalwarebytesAM was installed/updated and run through all drives. 0 malicious files there.
As for antivirus, I tried to get download avast, antivir or AVG (freewares) but none could install in full and AVG got round to give me a 'MSI Engine: Failed to install the product' (AVG Error Code: 0xC0070643).
I also created a restore point and installed the BlueScreenView application. Not much more I could do at that stage so I went ahead and restarted.
It all looked good until... I got a face off with the bleeping Blue Screen. Disabling the Auto Restart paid off so I had a good look at those elusive blue eyes and it simply says:

Problem detected => Windows shut down to prevent damage to computer.
If 1st time, restart.
If appears again, follow these steps:
- Check for viruses on your computer (Can't do that from where I stand)
- Remove any newly installed hard drives or HD controllers. (No such newly installed drive/controller)
- Check your HDrive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. (All volumes are formatted NTFS and I am not sure what else I'm supposed to do here).
- Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption. (Done / No issue there)
- Restart your computer. (Did so and still get the same blue screen!

Technical Info: ***: (0x0000007B, 0x80606BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Shall I kill myself right away; after yet another Restart or maybe keep being resilient?
Someone please tell me they had the same issue and sorted it out as easy as 1-2-3. :(

Thanks for taking the time to read me.
Kameleo

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

For future knowledge those other partitions were the Diagnostics partition which would have been accessible by pressing F12 at power on when the Dell logo appeared.
The other partition was the Dell recovery partition which was there to allow restoring the computers OS to the same condition as when you turned it on for the first time.

Moving on... With most Dell computers available on their website in the drivers download section is software called "Dell System Software" They have a recommended order of drivers for a clean install. The Dell System Software is usually first followed by the chipset etc.

Before I did anything else I would want to run a thorough hard drive diagnostic and memory test. Hard drive test from manufacturer.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users