Thanks for your reply Louis.
RE: <<If I did a clean install and had problems right away...I would think that a diagnostic of the hard drive is in order. Did you run such...or the Dell Diagnostics package?>>
I have done so indeed - both through the disk repair; command prompt chk dsk available there and again earlier at startup. All tests came through fine and even while converting the volumes through DiskPart, the list/detail indicated all volumes were healthy.
Good news is it did eventually manage to boot up once earlier so I tried to move on with install and first made sure I disabled Automatic Restart so as to freeze the blue screen if it ever happened again...
I managed to download a couple of Windows Updates for which I needed to Restart. I postponed and made sure MalwarebytesAM was installed/updated and run through all drives. 0 malicious files there.
As for antivirus, I tried to get download avast, antivir or AVG (freewares) but none could install in full and AVG got round to give me a 'MSI Engine: Failed to install the product' (AVG Error Code: 0xC0070643).
I also created a restore point and installed the BlueScreenView application. Not much more I could do at that stage so I went ahead and restarted.
It all looked good until... I got a face off with the bleeping Blue Screen. Disabling the Auto Restart paid off so I had a good look at those elusive blue eyes and it simply says:
Problem detected => Windows shut down to prevent damage to computer.
If 1st time, restart.
If appears again, follow these steps:
- Check for viruses on your computer (Can't do that from where I stand)
- Remove any newly installed hard drives or HD controllers. (No such newly installed drive/controller)
- Check your HDrive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. (All volumes are formatted NTFS and I am not sure what else I'm supposed to do here).
- Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption. (Done / No issue there)
- Restart your computer. (Did so and still get the same blue screen!
Technical Info: ***: (0x0000007B, 0x80606BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Shall I kill myself right away; after yet another Restart or maybe keep being resilient?
Someone please tell me they had the same issue and sorted it out as easy as 1-2-3.
Thanks for taking the time to read me.