Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan/MBR infection / hard drive permission issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CarbonBased

CarbonBased

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Hi all,

This is my first time posting here, but I've got a virus issue that's way beyond me.

My system:
Windows 7 laptop (no cd/dvd drive) (It's a dell studio.. 17 I believe). I usually use either chrome or firefox on it, and windows is kept up to date. I miss it :(

Symptoms:
When I tried visiting pages, I would have to hit refresh several times before the page actually loaded. At the time I thought it was a dying router, but then one day I was in Chrome and it minimized, showing the desktop, followed by countless error boxes popping up, stating my hard drive was corrupt and to run something like "windows harddrive repair kit" (I don't remember the actual name). Everything from my desktop/libraries disappeared.

After this, I restarted in safe mode, ran malwarebytes (updated ~weekly) /mcafee (aol security edition) /spybot (updated before I started cleaning everything), thought I got everything. The McAfee forum suggested running a program to restore the file locations from wherever this original virus hid them, as well as a program to unhide all of the programs. Both of these seemed to work fine, but viruses kept getting downloaded onto my system. Again, the mcafee forum suggested "Stinger", which I've run. This program suggests something in the master boot record/boot sectors, but doesn't seem able to clean it as it keeps showing up. Mcafee / spybot / malwarebytes all report everything is clear.

Also, since then I have been having weird permission / write issues with a wide range of applications. Programs I usually use (blender/photoshop, for example) haven't been able to save files on occasion, returning 'access denied' messages, as well as losing/not saving the program's preferences. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to this; photoshop can't "save to web" but it can "save as"... no idea how that is different.

I've uninstalled, then reinstalled the programs, but this permission remains. Also, the windows 7 library folder has been cleaned out (pictures/documents/music/video are all gone, and I cannot create a library folder there now).

Anyway, I hope I got all of the vital details, but if someone can help out with this, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 CarbonBased

CarbonBased
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:46 AM

Just posted it, thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic432011.html

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

Cool :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users