Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it illegal Downloading ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zuXi

zuXi

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

So, the question has been running through my mind about these websites.
Tunescoop.com & Zippyshare.com
This is not exactly "P2P" and you are not sharing files with anyone else.

Aside from this, where I am renting my apartment. The owner of the building
pays for the internet connection, as I pay for the rent which includes other
things as well. If I was caught for "illegal" downloading from such websites,
would they, or I be the one getting in trouble ? I know these sorts of things
are IP based, but Im not technically paying from my bank account for the service.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Not knowing the the Terms Of Service of the ISP and the legal jurisdiction of where you are, the best we can suggest is generalities. There may be additional and mitigating information that we are unaware of.

Does your rental agreement cover anything related to 'illegal activity'? If not you are likely to put your landlord at risk. I would venture to say there is some fine print in your rental agreement where he can bring civil charges against you for criminal conduct on his premises. Is it worth risking your place of residence and a potential reference if you need to move again to visit these sites?

Please see Bleeping Computer's Terms of Use to note that: "The information found on BleepingComputer.com is not meant to be a substitute for any legal, financial, medical, or health advice."

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 zuXi

zuXi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:55 AM

Canada, several things I have read states that it is legal to download.
I was more so looking for a generalized gathering of information, but your post provided useful.

First time Ive ever paid rent which included a package of many things, so I was just curious.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

Makes for an interesting read...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/personal-tech/illegal-downloading-how-do-you-explain-it-to-the-kids/article1570720/
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users