Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery Voltage System Low.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lostfan17

Lostfan17

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

Hey so I've been getting Alert! System Battery is low. press f1 to continue. press f2 to run setup utility. At first I've been ignoring it, since it didnt affect anything besides a minor annoyance to press f1 every time. However, now my computer wont even boot. After I press F1 it goes to the screen "sorry for any inconvenience" page. Whichever method I choose to boot- safe mode , last known configuraiton, networking etc- it goes to the Dell logo screen and then goes right back to the "sorry for any convenience screen". It keeps on recycling back to this screen.

Any ideas? Is it the CMOS battery? I have a Dell 8400, BIOS version A03. I've had this computer for a while now. Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

Yes, the system battery is the CMOS battery. It is most likely a CR2032 "coin cell." There is also a problem with Windows that prevents the computer from booting. By default, Windows restarts automatically when it crashes. If you select the "Disable automatic restart on system failure" option, you will be able to read the error message.

Edited by lti, 11 December 2011 - 10:18 PM.

#3 Lostfan17

Lostfan17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:16 PM

So its two different problems? Replacing the CMOS battery wont fix the boot problem? Any ideas how to fix it or know whats wrong with the boot?

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

I've not heard of a dead CMOS battery actually preventing Windows from booting, but with old OEMs you never know what they've fiddled with.

At any rate, yeah you need a new battery. It's about the size and color of a nickel on the motherboard and is easy to replace. Be sure to take note of where the plus sign is on the old battery and install the new battery the same way.

Edit: Sorry about the repeat of info. I left the editor up a little while before hitting the post button.

Edited by LucheLibre, 11 December 2011 - 10:23 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 Lostfan17

Lostfan17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:25 AM

Thanks for the reply guys! I'll buy a CMOS battery tommorow, but it still prob wont help the boot problem. I put the "Disable automatic restart on system failure" option, and the blue screen got me error 0x0000007B. Any ideas guys?

Edited by Lostfan17, 12 December 2011 - 02:39 AM.

#6 Lostfan17

Lostfan17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:05 AM

So I was searching for the internet for 0x7b bsod and battery system voltage low, and I landed in the Dell Forums. I followed one of their directions by entering the BIOS and changing one of the drivers to RAID Autodetect/AHCI to RAID Autodetect/ATA, and voila my computer reboots again. THough I dont know what I did. Does anyone know if its fine to change RAID Autodetect/AHCI to RAID Autodetect/ATA? I have no idea what that means for my computer, all I know is that it worked.

Thanks guys for your help!

#7 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

Yes, that is okay. When the CMOS battery finally died, all BIOS settings were reset. That setting prevents Windows from booting if it is changed after Windows is installed. Changing it back allows Windows to boot again.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

Those are two different sets of drivers for the hard drive. ATA (IDE mode) and AHCI

what the need to change that setting means is that the windows installation was set up with the settings set to RAID Autodetect/ATA and not RAID Autodetect/AHCI. That also means you are most likely not getting the best possible performance from the hard drive. Whoever set up windows did that as ATA is easier to use with no special driver needed at install time.

There are ways to change over however since it is working I do not suggest fixing it.

FWIW if you had changed the CMOS battery when that warning first appeared you would have most likely had the same problem.

Make sure you have the date and time set properly as they can affect you getting security updates and Antivirus updates.

Edited by rotor123, 13 December 2011 - 06:30 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 Lostfan17

Lostfan17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:01 AM

Thanks Guys for the help! I really appreciate it. The only thing I'm worried about is that the default BIOS setting was AHCI, not ATA. I assume it was always AHCI until something happened that required it to be ATA. But since it's working, I'll leave it alone lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users