Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lexmark 5400 all in one printer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bdieruf

bdieruf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

First off, please know I would have never bought the aforementioned piece of junk printer, it was a gift from the school PTO! I am not sure what prompted the purchase, but we own it now and working in a school system that has limited funds these days, it’s important to get as much (actually, I would be happy with ANY, at this point!) life out of our equipment as possible. That said, can anyone tell me how to install the drivers for this all in one printer? Its running on a Dell Optiplex 740, running WinXP Pro. When it starts to load, it gets to the INSTALL part, then stops and sends a "Cannot Install" message. That’s about all the insight it offers. I have been to the website, which in itself should tell you something about how substandard the product is, but the only driver offered, is the one that I am using. I am well versed in installing HP products, which are idiot proof by comparison. They offer a universal driver or at least newer driver versions. This is a novel idea that Lexmark should consider. This printer was bought last year, three IT people have attempted to install in during that time, each one failing more miserably than the previous! I have tried to install the driver directly via Device Manager; still the computer refuses to acknowledge the driver file, rendering the same error message. ANY insight that anyone can offer would be deeply appreciated. Otherwise, this one is dumpster bound! Happy holidays, everyone!

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2011 - 09:00 PM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

Can you please give us the exact error message?

All Lexmark printers that I have done are a pretty flawless and straight forward installation, just like HP's

You might also try temporarily disabling your antivirus software.
Also check for scratches or marks on the cd and clean if needed.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 bdieruf

bdieruf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

First off, thanks for taking time to assist me with this. Here are the steps I took when I was installing this printer. I went to Lexmark.com and downloaded this file
File Name: cjbX5400en.exe
Released 08/21/2009
Version: 1.0.3.3
File Size 85.6 MB
It was the driver recommended for WinXP, I unzipped and installed it.I clicked on Device Manager, the Lexmark printer that is in need of a driver and highlighted with yellow exclamation mark. I then went to the root of the C: drive, to the default folder (c:\Lexmark\driver\WinXP. It acts like its going to load the driver, then less than a minute later, it says "the driver is incompatible with this printer". I went right to the root of the C drive and clicked on the INSTALL application that was loaded with the download. The application starts to install, it gets to the third page of the installation and tells me to click INSTALL. As soon as I do that, it says "this software is not compatible with this version of Windows". Its clearly marked "Driver for Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista". We use Lightspeed as our virus protection, so I did disable that prior to my many installation attempts. Any insight that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks for your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users