Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to remove Ubuntu and get back to windows

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dayers11

dayers11

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

Hello,

A friend of mine installed Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop - thought I would love it ! Well, I don't !

It was interesting, but I'd really like to get back to windows XP. I don't know how to do this.

Im not sure what information you need but let me know and I'll get it.

Thanks so much for your help.

Hev

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

Some folks like Linux, and some don't. But, good for you for giving it a try.

Alrighty, questions about the install -

- Was Ubuntu installed using the entire HDD?

- Or... within Windows ( WUBI )?

- Or... along side Windows ?

#3 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:18 AM

did you have xp installed on your computer before if so you can use the xp installation disk. if not you will have to either buy the xp system or win7 and install, only thing i dont like about windows you cant use someone else copy to put on your computer. it is illegal by terms of the eula.
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#4 Qamar Naeem

Qamar Naeem

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

Uninstalling ubuntu is a simple procedure yet technical though, you need to follow simple steps correctly and need to have uninstall utility; for fouther details and steps follow the below link:

http://www.techyv.com/questions/windows-xp-or-ubuntu-i-deinstalled-ubuntu-os-0

#5 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

The only way to remove Ubuntu (assuming that's all that is installed) is to completely wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. If it was installed alongside Windows (called a dual-boot configuration), it is very simple to remove it. More information is needed in order for us to help you.

#6 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

Don't forget to backup your important docs, pics, tunes etc etc to external storage before you start 'cos a reinstall will very likely wipe your hard drive (depending - as others have said - how Ubuntu was installed).

#7 TommyBoat

TommyBoat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Umbuntu suffers from severe security flaws.

I am in agreement with Josh the Techie...wipe and reload WinXP. Did you load Umbuntu onto the Laptop with existing photos, docs, spreadsheets? Or was the Umbuntu installation a fresh one? How long have you had the Laptop?

First: You may want to purchase a stand-alone external hard drive. Make sure you backup all your photos, .xls Excel files, .doc MS Word files, and .mpeg files, before you wipe your hard drive. You can even backup Outlook emails if you are saavy.

Second: Get your WinXP installation disk. Have your WinXP key handy and written down on paper so you don't have
to flip over your Laptop to look at it. Write legibly.

Third: Have access to a working computer with internet access and download all the Laptop's
communication drivers from your manufacturer's website before you begin. Place them on a flash drive.
That way, when you first restart WinXP, you can get an internet session going right away. Once you have a fresh WinXP install, and have an internet connection, you can do your Microsoft Updates right away. Make sure you keep loading all the Microsoft WinXP updates until you have SVC pack 3 loaded. Otherwise, your Laptop will be vulnerable.

Fourth: Go back to your manufacturer's website and download all the latest drivers for your model. Load all your Adobe tools too. Don't forget to load free Java.

Fifth: Install a market-leading anti-virus PAID application. No free experimental stuff. Avoid Kaspersky and AVG. Sorry, hate them both.

Best of luck.

R We Good ?

#8 TommyBoat

TommyBoat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

How did this work out for you?

R We Good ?

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:40 PM

Hello,

A friend of mine installed Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop - thought I would love it ! Well, I don't !

I've been with Linux for two years now...I don't like Ubuntu either lol.  Maybe you want to try another OS that many here and elsewhere use and love.  It's up to you, if there are things that you need XP for then fine, but I don't suggest using it anymore and many many people will agree.  If you want to try a different linux OS it is easy enough.  You would just download the linux iso, which takes about 8min with a decent connection, and another 8 to Burn it to a DVD or USB, then boot from it and give it a Test Drive without disturbing you current OS.  One of our Advisers here says that most of his customers don't like Ubuntu either, so maybe you will think about that, just another idea to ponder.

If you have enough Drive space you could reinstall XP, and then also install linux on a small partition with it "Daul Boot"  20GB would suffice.

Sounds like you have a Single Boot with Ubuntu, so you will just need the XP Installation Disk and Format and Install over Ubuntu.  That is more a matter for the XP Forum here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/

Umbuntu suffers from severe security flaws.

What is Umbuntu? Security Flaws...you think XP would be better lol?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

Check the date of the original post, Its like 5 years old.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:09 PM

Opps, sorry Nick...I got sucked into that one.

Edited by pcpunk, 11 May 2016 - 11:10 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:52 AM

Opps, sorry Nick...I got sucked into that one.

It has likely happened to us all at some point. :thumbup2:

Post #5 by TommyBoat is the one who resurrected the Topic, asking a question to which the OP likely will never answer (less than 1% chance of happening). 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users