Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to a SSD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bee24

bee24

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

I'm looking to upgrade and buy a SSD. I've been using the hdd i have now for a long time and don't want to format it. How do I install windows on my SSD without formatting my original hard drive? Also, any suggestions on what SSD to get? I want a relatively cheap one and don't need a lot of memory on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

You don't have to format your old hard drive if you don't want to... But I recommend it after copying image.. Is it a sata? The only SSD drives to get are Intel or Crucial.. They have a very low failure rate.. I think they are both manufactured by the same company... I have bought several others like OZC, Kingston, Corsiar.. Also depending on what operating system your putting on it... I would get at least a 64Gb size.. The bigger sizes 256gb and up have a higher failure rate.. You can get a hard drive image copy software to make a exact image of your old hard drive and put it on your SSD. There are free ones out there ...do a Google search.. I have done many pc's with SSD drives and I recommend using W7 if your PC can handle it.. The SSD drives run the best with W7... Also after you copy or image to your new SSD I would wipe the old drive and format it to NTFS and use it for storage only... It is better then having another operating system on it to deal with.. Good luck

#3 bee24

bee24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

My hard drive has 500gb of files on it so i can't copy all of it. I only want windows and specific files on my SSD without formatting my original HDD. How can i remove windows from my original hdd and re install it on my SDD? Yes it's sata and I already have windows 7.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

The easiest way in my opinion, to do what you want to do, is once you get your SSD, to go ahead and do a clean install of windows 7 on that SSD, and the programs you want to install on it, and then following the steps in this guide go through your old hard drive, take ownership of the windows files on it, and delete all of them leaving the data you wish to keep intact.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

Some SSD's, like the ones Intel sells, have a data migration tool built-in. However, it makes an exact copy, so, you have a few options. You can simply do a clean install of Windows onto the SSD, or, you can move or delete files off the old drive to get it down to the SSD's capacity. If you go the clean install route, I suggest unplugging the old drive from the computer before putting the SSD in the case and hooking it up, that way, you cannot mistakenly delete everything off the old drive.

3939.png

#6 bee24

bee24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

Can i still do this with an OEM copy of Windows?

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

In reply to the question in your PM, there are 3 standards of SATA, all are forwards and backwards compatible. Sata 1 transfers at 1.5 gb/s SATA II transfers at 3 gb/s and sata III transfers at 6 gb/s. If you have a SSD drive that says it is Sata 6 gb/s then it is sata III or vice versa. They are all forwards and backwards compatible and will work with any sata plugin. The sata cables are all the same as well. Either of the SSDs you linked me to will work with your motherboard without any issues whatsoever.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users