Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iwipe it all out

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

is there a program that i can put into my win xp computer that would pretty much wipe everything out except the operating system? the things old and filled with tons of just crap.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

Would you please tell me which antivirus applications you have had previously on this machine any and all.The reason I ask is because some like to hang around after you uninstall via add remove programs and require the use of removal tools.

Also run start up lite.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/startuplite
What is listed under msconfig startup tab after running start up lite?

What kind of computer do you have exactly??Example Compaq presario c700

Hit the start button in lower left hand corner. Then in the run box type msconfig, then hit the services tab then put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?Please post back to us in a vertical list.

Please download MINITOOLBOX When the box opens click save file, save it to the desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:
Flush Dns
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Click Go and post the result.

Run sfc /scannow also run chkdsk /r Links explaining below.
chkdsk /r

sfc /scannow

IF THIS IS A DESKTOP Unplug the tower open up the side.Get can of compressed air and blow out the machine and reseat the ram modules video card etc,see video Plug it back in and see how it goes.WHILE YOU HAVE THE RAM AND VIDEO CARD OUT BLOW OUT THE SLOTS THAT THEY PLUG INTO.ALSO BLOW OUT THE HEAT SINK.SEE VIDEO

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND POST ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED!! :)

After you post to me this info then check out this program.
http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoek_informatica/visualization/sequoiaview/
This program has allowed m to free up 38 GIGS of space on one computer.

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2011 - 08:54 PM.
Removed unnecessary blank lines.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

There is nothing that can do what you want. You can uninstall whatever you like on your own, but if you try to depend on some third party app to do it for you, you will most likely be VERY unhappy with the results. Do you have some specific problem(s) with your system? If so, tell us about them. If you simply want to start from scratch you can always format and reinstall the OS.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

There is nothing that can do what you want. You can uninstall whatever you like on your own, but if you try to depend on some third party app to do it for you, you will most likely be VERY unhappy with the results. Do you have some specific problem(s) with your system? If so, tell us about them. If you simply want to start from scratch you can always format and reinstall the OS.

Allan im am sure that he/she knows this I answered the question that he/she asked.Thanks for your input though.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

sharpie, while the response from inadequateinfirmaty is certainly comprehensive, it probably has nothing to do with your question - at least we can't know for sure until you tell us what type of "crap" you are talking about. I suggest that before following any of the suggestions in that post you tell us EXACTLY what it is you are trying to delete and what, if any, problems you are having with your system.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

Well you can try a program called Revo Uninstaller FREE to identify the programs that can be uninstalled. Only you can make that determination, because you use your computer the most not us.

The only thing I can say to run in the post by inadequate is minitoolbox to list your installed applications. The rest of his post has nothing to do with what you want to get accomplished.

Im just posting here to back up Allan.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

<<is there a program that i can put into my win xp computer that would pretty much wipe everything out except the operating system? the things old and filled with tons of just crap.>>

No such program. There is no alternative way to do a clean install...other than doing a clean install, whether via recovery/restore mechanism or MS Genuine XP disk.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#8 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:23 AM

the computer takes aprox. 20 minutes to just boot up. theres no way id be able to run programs like minitoolbox, but i do have two spare os. windows xp home and pro.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

Can you give us a little more detail?

20 minutes is a very long time for a system to boot.
Are you sure about that?
A pot of water takes a really long time to boil when you are watching it and considerably less time when you are not.

WHats the make/model of the system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

the computer takes aprox. 20 minutes to just boot up. theres no way id be able to run programs like minitoolbox, but i do have two spare os. windows xp home and pro.

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) How long does it take to boot to safe mode?

3) If the boot to safe mode is fairly normal, let's try this:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Edited by Allan, 13 December 2011 - 08:46 AM.

#11 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

Judging from post number #8 please complete my instructions and lets see if we can speed this thing up and get rid of some un-needed stuff on that pc.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

Uninstalling programs has no effect on the efficiency of the computer or boot speed, it only frees up hd space - which is irrelevant unless the hd is essentially full.

Edited by Allan, 14 December 2011 - 05:31 PM.

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

Suggestions have been made and the member starting this topic has not replied. There are multiple options available. If the topic starter wishes to continue they may PM me to reopen this topic.

Topic Closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users