Before posting this topic I read as many previous topics as possible to get an idea of what I might have on my computer. At first it was clear that I had the 2012 Security virus as I was getting fake requests to sign up for malware/virus protection. I recognized this and was able to get that off my computer following one of the previous forum topics, and used Malwarebytes to get rid of it. But now I still get website redirects using both Firefox and Chrome, and when I try to get to any security software sites, it aggressively redirects me. For instance, I typed in "combofix" in the google search box and I cannot get to the download page. Luckily, my desktop is running smoothly (my laptop has the virus), so I can easily bring executables over to my laptop via flash drive from my desktop. I was going to run combofix myself, but then saw the warning that I should only use it under direction of someone who knows how to use it. Can someone help me?
Here are symptoms:
- I believe I did have the Vista 2012 Security virus, which I believe was removed using Malwarebytes
- I still have a virus that causes redirects when using Firefox and Chrome, and redirects are aggressive when trying to get to anti-virus tool download sites (i.e. combofix)
- I cannot turn on my windows firewall: it says: "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings"
- I occasionally (rarely) get a blue screen of death, which occurred last time during a full-scan of Malwarebytes (near the end of the scan), and it says something like "starting system dump"
- I have tried the following with no success: Malwarebytes, TDSSKiller, CCleaner, Adaware, AVG
- I am not sure, but I the virus may be creating fake AVS and McAfee security announcements
Here is my computer specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Acer Aspire 5920
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
3.00 GB RAM
Can anyone help?
Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2011 - 05:40 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.