Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP reboots nonstop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 jimvw57

jimvw57

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

I fought through the anti spyware virus and the computer worked good for a day. Suddenly I got a screen about system fix. I tried using the AVG disk I had and now the computer bounces between the start up screen and Windows. I am unable to boot into safe mode, same results. Computer is an older Compac and I have a bunch of pictures files etc that I really wouldn't want to loose. Any help is greatly appreciated

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2011 - 01:14 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

Hi jimvw57, and welcome to BC!! :thumbsup:

My name is bloopie and I'll be helping you for the time being!

Are you able to boot your computer in normal mode or safe mode at all?

Do you have access to a USB or flashdrive?

bloopie

Edited by bloopie reborn, 11 December 2011 - 03:44 PM.

#3 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

played with it some more, and plugged in an old hard drive and it booted up ok. Switched back to the infected drive and let it start up. It did start Windows but got about a dozen error messages. left them on the screen and ram Malwarebytes anti-malware complete scan. It found 4 infected files which I let it take care of. Computer now boots up, but I only see the trash icon and Outloook icon, no background, just a blue screen. Doesn't connect to internet but I do have access to internet through another computer. USB and cd drive seem to work for bootup.

#4 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

Hi again,

See if you could follow the uninstall procedure shown here. If you have any problems along the way, please let me know.

Also could you post the results of the Malwarebytes scan you ran? The log could be found by reopening Malwarebytes, then click on the Logs tab at the top. Find the log labeled with the date of the scan and open it. Then copy and paste the log results here.

Let me know of any problems you have with the fix, the logs, or any problems you are still having with the computer.

bloopie

#5 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:31 AM

Guess I shouldn't have shut it off, back to the constant rebooting, won't go into safe mode.. I won't be able to work with it for a day or so, work calls.. That darn Christmas thing and being in retail it does get busy. Hopefully tomorrow night...

#6 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

Hi again,

Sorry to hear that. Could you please describe exactly what happens when your computer reboots in the loop so we can better help you? Do you see a bluescreen with white writing flash before it reboots?

Also please list the system manufacturer and model (dell, Compaq, HP etc) if possible along with the Operating System (XP, Vista/Windows 7 etc) you are using, and weather you have the installation disk.

bloopie

Edited by bloopie reborn, 13 December 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#7 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

I do see a brief blue screen with white words but it is so quick to shut down that I can't read any of it. If I install an older (smaller) hard drive, it does boot into windows XP fine.

When I try to boot into Safe mode with Networking, it goes to the Compac startup screen without the blue screen appearing. It does list the drivers first in safe mode.

Machine is a Compac Evo running Windows XP Home I do have a Windows XP Home upgrade disk with the original folder and product key that I believe was used for the install Been a few years...

I can't express how much I appreciate the help.

Edited by jimvw57, 14 December 2011 - 01:22 AM.

#8 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

No problem, I'm happy to help! :thumbup2:

I will request another member takeover the topic due to the machine being unbootable. Please be patient, and good luck!

bloopie

#9 Bob.

Bob.

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

Being a new member, I hope this interjection isn't out of line :) . While you're waiting for the 'other' member, pressing F8 repeatedly after bios POST (as you likely have done to enter safe mode) should produce a menu that includes an option to disable automatic restart. Selecting that item will allow the system to blue screen (for that boot only), allowing you time to obtain the stop error code (generally the bottom text). You may also see a description of the error (i.e., irql_not_less_or_equal). You can gooogle the information to obtain clues to what could be causing your problems. At the very least, it will provide additional information to help any subsequent posters identify your problem.

Bob.

#10 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:05 AM

Thanks! That is a new one I have never heard. The blue screen says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent further damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0F789E528,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:43 AM

Hello jimvw57,

At this point, what harddisk are you trying to boot from? If it is not the infected one, please make sure that one is connected, just as it was before the problems started.

Do you have your XP CD or do you have the possibility to burn a CD?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#12 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

I am using the infected hard disk, (been on there for about 4 years now) and I have a Windows XP disk. I also have a second computer that I can use to make a cd if I need to. The Windows XP disk I have is an upgrade disk if that matters. The product ID number is attached to the side of the computer The power is off on the computer as it was rebooting every 30 seconds or so.

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:14 AM

First lets have a look at the MBR of the disk. It might be infected. I will move this topic to the malware removal forum.

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type the following and press enter:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#14 jimvw57

jimvw57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

infcted computer doesn't list usb port. Under File, it only lists sda1 which looks to be the hard drive. when I typed in he command at sba1, I got a reply of 1+0 records in 1+0 records out.

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

Then the file will have been saved at sda1. If you can access the internet, try to use the Firefox browser (click second tab in the left panel) and see if you can access this topic and post it from there.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users