Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 in Virtual Box

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Reddoug

Reddoug

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hi All

I have Windows 8 installed in Virtual Box (do not have a machine that I can dedicate it to) and it will keep saying there is a problem and needs to restart. It will do this a lot. Does not matter if I and using it or if it is idle. Is my problem from installing in Virtual Box and trying to run it from there? I am not a big fan of Win 8 but it is not finished yet so we will see how it turns out.

Reddoug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

Are you using the latest version of VB? Also, does the error message have any technical details that you can include here?

Finally, it may help for you to post the VM settings you have for Win 8. I'm running it on VB with default Windows 8 settings without trouble so we can check for a possible discrepancy.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

HI

I am running Win7 for host machine, HP laptop 4GB of ram, AMD X2 Dual-core 2.2GHz. I do have visualization enabled. VB is 4.1.6. I have the ram on virtual machine 1.8GB, Video menory 256MB with 2D video, 3D. Acceleration: VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging, PAE/NX. Windows does not give me an error number, just says it has encountered an error an will restart. It also ask to send data back to Microsoft. Do not BSOD, just says it will restart and has a count down timer and restarts. I had memory set at 1 GB and raised it to 1822MB but that did not make any difference. Could not go any higher with out getting an error message saying host machine would not have enough memory.

Thanks, Reddoug

#4 LiamW

LiamW

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

Are you running windows 7 aswell?
You cannot both windows 8 and windows 7 on 2gb of ram and a dual core processer
Windows 7 requires at least 1 gb to run

#5 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

Hi

I guess I do not understand your question. Computer has 4GB of ram. Virtual machine, Win8 is set for 1882KB which would leave just over 2GB for host machine running Win7.

Reddoug

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

My PAE setting is not checked, nor is my 2D and 3D graphics boxes.

There's also been some posts that suggest changing the chipset to ICH9 fixes their errors. They are not quite the same errors as yours, but it's something to try.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#7 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the information.

I will try those suggestions and see what happens. I did have 2D and 3D unchecked, I will uncheck them and see how PAE is set. I will check the chipset.

Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users