Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot S&D...Administrator?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Striper

Striper

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

Was trying to manage the System Startup using S&D. When I try to untick the task, it says I need Administrator rights, and need to rerun elevated to Administrator.

Uhhhh...I'm the only account, and I am the Administrator.

Any ideas why I'm getting this message?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

You use Windows Vista or Windows 7? Then you need to explicitly start programs with administrator rights, even when you are the administrator. The way to achieve this is to right-click the program you want to start and select "Run as administrator".

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

This may help to explain why some programs have to be Run As Administrator in Windows 7.

When an administrator logs on to a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, the user is assigned two separate access tokens. Access tokens, which contain a user's group membership and authorization and access control data, are used by the Windows operating system to control what resources and tasks the user can access. The access control model in earlier Windows operating systems did not include any failsafe checks to ensure that users truly wanted to perform a task that required their administrative access token. As a result, malicious software could install on users' computers without notifying the users. (This is sometimes referred to as a "silent" installation.)

Even more damaging, because the user is an administrator, the malicious software could use the administrator's access control data to infect core operating system files, and in some instances, become nearly impossible to remove.

Unlike earlier versions of Windows, when an administrator logs on to a computer running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, the userís full administrator access token is split into two access tokens: a full administrator access token and a standard user access token. During the logon process, authorization and access control components that identify an administrator are removed, resulting in a standard user access token. The standard user access token is then used to start the desktop, the Explorer.exe process. Because all applications inherit their access control data from the initial launch of the desktop, they all run as a standard user.

What is User Account Control?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

Thanx guys! As you can probably guess, this is my first foray into the Windows 7 world.

Initially, I couldn't find 'Run as Administrator', but went a little further in, and found it! Worked great!

Thanx again - I knew you guys could help.

Edited by Striper, 12 December 2011 - 06:49 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community. :)

I don't use Windows 7 but I was able to find a few suggestions for when the "Run as Administrator" command does not show.

But since you resolved the problem, we don't need to go there.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users