Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Air Force wants to discover habitable planet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

The news that the Kepler mission has discovered a habitable planet is cold inside, and there's been news about the planet 22b. The U.S. Department of Defense has to SETI, the scientific organization that searches for life in the universe, asked the antennas 22b to Kepler target.

As an extra incentive, the U.S. Air Force Space Command a check for an undisclosed amount sent to the impoverished Seti. That Seti has announced today. It is intended that the money for the radio telescopes Kepler 22b are directed to listen or electromagnetic radiation is produced by an intelligent being derived.

In this time that we must not to spend money, am I surprised that the Usa has money for this.
In the topic Ghosts, told I that the Nasa can be better studied our planet instead of the universe.

Edited by Computer-man, 11 December 2011 - 08:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:32 PM

We dont have the money for it anymore.

I believe it was in 1968 that we first landed on the moon.
I watched all of it live on TV when I was a kid.
1972 was our last landing on another planet, again the moon.
We have not been there since.

That is a long time ago.

Why?
The bad economy for one.
Why make a billion dollar device to go to Mars when a billion dollars can help more people on our planet?

Even if we got there, what then?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

I believe it was in 1968 that we first landed on the moon.

1968 is correct, I was looking to the moon landing with my Grand dad.
I was 14 years old, nearly 15, I was free from school and I went to my Grand dad. It was amazing what I saw.
A journey to the Moon is very very expansive, sometimes when I do hear these amounts, than I thinking, Jesus, I would that money.

Okay, I have just reading your message were you told me, that what I did found on MSN, is old, pity pity, but it is not else.
Only is it pity that MSN gave this month that message.
But just like you, find I that they can be better spend that money on our Planet.

Edited by Computer-man, 17 December 2011 - 09:24 AM.

#4 wrdsmth

wrdsmth

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:12 AM

this is the pure research vs practical application debate. always pertinent, always a tough question.

there are, of course, many things to invest in on this particular planet. people should not have to go to bed hungry and thirsty, particularly children. there are diseases to conquer and plagues that must be fought with all the intelligence that humans possess.

the problem is that when the human race turns inward, we seldom make advances in the truly important areas of research & development (R&D). compounding that problem is that there is no guarantee that investment in basic R&D will ever pay dividends in knowledge, progress or wealth.

that said: humankind is at its best when there is frontier. we are overwhelming the earth and there are no geographical frontiers left (true, under the seas is an environment that we have not exploited or explored thoroughly as we will eventually. still inward is seldom as satisfying as outward). the only outlet that we have for our boundless curiosity is out there. to test our dreams, to challenge our spirits, to find out if we have the 'right stuff' to justify our existence and many, many mistakes as a species.

to go to space requires courage. faith that we will find things that are worthwhile. hope that we are not at a dead end. love of the magnificent adventure that such a course presents.

'farewell' is to journey across the unknown with joy, not just an old form of 'good bye'.

#5 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:59 AM

there are, of course, many things to invest in on this particular planet. people should not have to go to bed hungry and thirsty, particularly children. there are diseases to conquer and plagues that must be fought with all the intelligence that humans possess.

Agree.
That is also the reason that people must spend their money to that project on Earth, rather than to the Space.
The topic what I did make is that a Political debate, not quite.?!
I saw the old news on MSN and thought, know you what, I post this, because it is interesting.
People in the USA just been complaining that there is not enough money, but they had enough for a journey to the space.
If they were smart than had they spend the money to important objects on Earth, just like mysteries things or what you did say; hungry and thirsty people etc.

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:18 AM

Whenever you have one species confined to a single habitat, you're asking for trouble.

Yes, I am completely in favor of searching for habitable worlds, learning what makes for a habitable world, establishing permanent habitats even on inhospitable worlds, etc.

#7 wrdsmth

wrdsmth

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

that's a very good point, Capn. there aren't as many big rocks flying around in the solar system as there used to be but that doesn't mean that an extra-solar system object isn't out there somewhere that in a nonmalicious way may meet the earth and make it uninhabitable in the twinkling of a cosmic eye. then there is the possibility that we are making the biosphere toxic for humans, using up the finite resources of the planet and basically fouling our nest. if we really care about the human species, we need to start seeding other worlds.

to many, it is repugnant to see money spent on basic R&D, space travel and exploration when those funds could feed a child, quench their thirst, educate them...it's hard for me as well. but the return on investment in the basic R&D has always paid so many dividends so that we can feed, clothe and nurture more human beings means that it should be prioritized instead of neglected. hard, hard choice.

since we climbed down out of the trees and learned to stand on our hind legs, humans have always scanned the horizon for enemies and opportunities. that trait has made us so very successful in so many ways, so unhappy in other ways. still, on balance, it seems a positive. it is that ingrained at the genetic level desire to explore and expand that is creating so much frustration at this point when this earth no longer holds unexplored habitats (except as previously mentioned the marine environment).

at this point, we have no way to get to another planet, especially one in a different solar system. but we surely will never have a means of transport if we don't ever look for such a contrivance.

#8 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:57 AM

That is the point, where I say, spend the money at important things instead of the space.
Delicious important or we are not alone in our Solar system or outer that.
Here on Earth are mysteries things just like: Ghosts, Lochness Monster and the Apeman with the nickname Yeti and whatever.
Now there are people they to say: Ghosts, Lochness Monster, Yeti, those phenomena, don't exist, than ask I myself a question, how could they know that, if they don't search for this.?.

No the USA found it needed for spend the money from the USA people to Space.
A journey to the Moon and further is not important, it is our worse or there is a Life on another Planet and or the possibility is there that we can live on Mars or whatever.
Here on Earth are things what we still don't know, okay the USA found it needed and also is it now finished temporary about the journey to the Space; do I say, for spend the money to that humbug, spend the money at our Planet, than do they something useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users