Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu & Netgear WGR614 v7 don't play well

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:23 AM

I'm a complete newb to Ubuntu (or anything that isn't Windows or Mac) & the most import part of my whole computing experience is missing: NO wireless connectivity! I spent 5 hours tonight/this morning trying to find & figure out how to load the driver for the Netgear WGR614, which is supposedly a Broadcom driver, of which I have no clue.

I love the look & feel of Ubuntu & I'm not paying money for an OS on a laptop that I couldn't even get $1 for trade-in value. But, I'm completely lost now. I love the fact that my 8-year-old HP dv8000 is so much quieter fan-wise (& not heating up as much, therefor) that I don't want to wipe the hard drive again, but I'm in need of some major help.

If anyone can help, talk to me as though I'm an 8-year-old tech wise or I'm just not going to understand anything.

Windows Wireless drivers says that bcmwl5a.inf & del000fz.inf (the Dell modem driver) are both invalid.

I need to go to sleep now. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

That piece of gear is a router (according to Mr. Google), not a networking device attached directly to the computer. The router doesn't care what you're running to connect to it. All it cares is that whatever is connecting to it does so in the proper manner (security if any, looking in the right IP range, etc). So I don't think that's where your problem lies.

You don't need a driver for it. You need a driver for your device on the computer to attach to it. Do you know what kind of wireless or ethernet device is inside of the computer that you're trying to connect from?

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

The link below is loaded with information on using wifi in Ubuntu.
WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper - Community Ubuntu Documentation

Like the suggestion in that link says, if your wireless network card is not now supporting
open source drivers, the best and easiest solution is to get one that does.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Thank you both. In my sleep deprived haze last night I was becoming completely confused. I realized my error when I woke up. I'm about to research what the wireless card is, but the laptop in an HP Pavilion dv8225nr from 2002.

I'm about to plunge into a little research, I'll post back later this evening.

ETA:
06:02.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4318] (rev 02)

Edited by lonewolfette9847, 11 December 2011 - 03:55 PM.

#5 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

I don't know about that particular chipset. At least one link says it's built into the kernel since several revisions ago.

I did find a couple of links that might help. one here (the "blacklist" it says to edit in that is actually called "blacklist.conf" now), and the other here. The first one may be a little easier to follow. But it may also be out of date.

All of my chipsets just worked, so I'm not versed in ndiswrapper if that's the way you end up having to go. But it looks like that might not be necessary. My experience with all things linux that do work, it's usually not as much trouble as it first appears. (The rare ones that don't work are often a different story.)

#6 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

Thanks, stiltskin. I'm gonna give the first option a look. I've already seen the second page & things just don't seem to cooperate.

#7 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

I DID IT!!!

Ahem. Sorry. I just got finishing running around my room & flopping forward & backwards onto my bed I was so happy. I was even briefly debating playing the Hallelujah chorus, until I realized it wasn't in my current playlist. Oh well. Anyway, here's what I did.

First, I tried every other set of directions under the sun. Nothing brought on that magical blue light that shows my wireless is alive & kickin'.

Earlier this afternoon, I went to HP's site & downloaded the package of drivers for my HP Pavilion dv8225nr (I'm giving this again if anyone searches for this same thing, hopefully they'll have it easier than I did):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-41607-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=1841885&sw_lang=

I then downloaded & installed Wine through the Software Center. Well, then I realized the driver pack was saved to C:/SWSetup/ (file is bcmwl5.inf)... & I didn't know HOW to get to the C drive in Ubuntu! I went into Home & clicked on File System & did a search for "SWSetup"... lo & behold, there's my folder! Opened the folder, & then ran Windows Wireless Drivers. I dragged the file bcmwl5.inf into the Open listing, hit install & VOILA... I'm running around my room like a lunatic laughing happily & somewhat maniacally.

So now, I'm going to test doing a shut down & boot to make sure it STAYS. Yippee!

#8 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

Sure enough, it stayed & it's been working like a champ all week.

I'm really loving Ubuntu, if just for the fact it doesn't seem to want to make my laptop overheat the way Windows did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users