Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need serious help in figuring out how to upgrade my old junker

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rob36500

rob36500

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:49 AM

I have an old HP Pavilion a300n. I am looking to upgrade from the factory graphics card built in to the motherboard. However I have found that my motherboard does not have a pci express or agp expansion slot. Does any know if they make any graphics cards that will fit in a regular pci expansion bay? Or is there another way of adapting my vga out to split between an s video and vga cords?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:08 AM

There is PCI graphics card but why do you want to upgrade this old desktop?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 rob36500

rob36500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

Because I cannot afford a newer bigger machine. I have already spent too much on buying ram for this old dinosaur and taken the motherboard to it,s max capacity of one gig ram. i just don't have the money to do much else right now.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

This is probably the best you can get into a system like that, though if thats a bit to pricey for you this may work on a tighter budget. Keep in mind, neither are real high performing cards, though the first (the ati card) will outperform the second one (Nvidia 8400) hand over foot. The ati card has integrated HDMI though which makes it nice if your trying to hook up to a HD tv or perhaps turn your computer into a future media machine.

Personally, I would choose the ATI card even if its a little pricey-because, in the future when you can afford a new computer, you can turn around and throw a blu ray player into this one and turn it into a cheap media machine. You dont really need real high specs for a good media machine-just enough power to handle playing a movie at 1080p and this card combined with a pentium 4 or higher and a gig of ram ought to do it. Anyway, just my two cents.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

Just an...idle comment.

I'm cheap and I don't believe in putting new money into older technology. I find it smarter to just save the bucks and then upgrade the quality of the entire system, not necessarily with what is being pushed at the moment...but any number of systems that may have been pushed last year, 2 years ago, etc...that are more recent and technologically more sound...than any older system I may be trying to patch together.

Louis

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

Jeez, Tebow did it again.

Anyways, hamluis is on the mark. Any money you put into this system is like throwing the cash away. You have a system that is good enough for internet browsing, and pretty useless for anything more demanding. A video card, a PCI video card, will be an upgrade, but what is the point? What are you going to do with a "new" cheap videocard that you can't do already?

Just curious.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

That is the only reason I would recomend the ATI card at all-the system is pretty old, but a card like that does give you some use as a HD media center (albeit a low end one) at the very least.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:30 AM

It's better to save up dude. I recently came to the conclusion that my processor was the problem with my old computer, but for my motherboard there was really not much better I could replace it with, also the same PCI problem you're encountering came up. The motherboard is just too old and having to replace that you might as well re-build the hole thing.

#9 rob36500

rob36500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

Thanks guys. I agree about upgrading the whole system. Unfortunately I cannot afford much at this time and the wife wants movies on the tv now! I am planning on buliding my own new system in about six months. I am still just a low end user who just wants movies and surfing capabilities. As for now I just picked up a gig of mushkin ram this dinasuar and now it is gettin quicker. Not too much more I can do for it thouhg. But Gotta keep the wife happy. But hey since I am a novice I may be asking for more advice later on. For now I have the curiosity of which is better, Windows or Linux?

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

lol age old debate. If your just using it for using windows, especially if this is your primary system, I would stick with windows. Linux is far more secure and more powerful then windows, but nowhere near as user friendly. Wait till you have two computers, one as a primary, and the other to load linux onto to experiment with it. Or if you have a large enough hard drive, dual boot with linux to learn it or use linuxlive DVDs to learn it. I personally, love linux-though I use windows a lot, I am very partial to it, but it does take a bit to learn.

picard5.jpg

#11 rob36500

rob36500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:02 AM

Thanks. I am just looking to learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users