Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome Is Most Secure of the Top Three Browsers, Study Finds

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:42 PM

PCWorld.com Article by Katherine Noyes dated Dec 9, 2011 12:02 pm

Even as Mozilla's Firefox browser has been surrounded by uncertainty in recent weeks, Chrome seems to be having a very good month.

Not only did Google's software officially surpass Firefox to assume the No. 2 position in market share last week, but today it was named the most secure of the top three browsers by security firm Accuvant.

“Both Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer implement state-of-the-art anti-exploitation technologies, but Mozilla Firefox lags behind without JIT hardening,” the company explains in a 100-page study.

For the complete article click here.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

Interesting article but i use both Chrome and Firefox :D

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

I use neither chrome nor firefox :whistle:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Topic Starter

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

I use five browsers depending on the task/s at hand. With none of the top 3 as my default.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

For what it's worth, Google funded this study Forbes.com article. Not saying the study is flawed, as the tools used for comparison have been released to the public, so the results can be verified by other individuals.

Posted Image

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:31 AM

Hey Animal, good morning.

Inquiring minds want to know...what are the other two browsers? (if you don't mind sharing)

BlackSpyder, thanks for the link.

Like the killer, I still tend to use both FF and/or Chrome although I'd like to know what else other BC members are using and, equally as important, why they're using what they do.

patriot11, mind sharing?

Thanks everyone.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Topic Starter

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

Opera as default, and Lunascape mostly for testing purposes. Due to it's three browser engine capability.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:42 PM

I have a few friends that use opera (software guys) and they say it's faster. I just don't like it because Im used to chrome. I am very particular to my interfaces. :)
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Topic Starter

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

I'm not a software guy, I just like the way it works 'right out of the box'. Ive been using it since version 3 as a paid app. Now that I can synch all my Opera bookmarks and speed dial links with Opera mini on my Android phone I have everything at my fingertips. So it just keeps getting better and more customizable.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:50 AM

>bows<

Thank you gentlemen, for the links and the feedback.

I've downloaded both Opera as well as Lunascape and will do some testing of both this weekend.

Just one more reason these Forums have been a huge help to me.

Enjoy the weekend.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#11 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

You are very welcome, as always glad we were able to answer your questions!

Happy Holidays!
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

I loved Firefox 4 (used it from the early betas), but once Mozilla started their rapid release cycle, I started using Chrome as my default browser. Chrome has better features and reliability for me...while Firefox just breaks addons with every major version update.

But to each their own. :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Topic Starter

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

while Firefox just breaks addons with every major version update.

But to each their own. :)

Which is the very reason, I dropped Firefox in the early stages, years ago. Just as I was getting comfortable with the add-ons the next update I was hobbled again. I switched to Opera which worked right out of the box with a few more whistles as I had configured Firefox, before they updated and hobbled it. Lather, Rinse, Repeat, 3 or 4 times a year and I was no longer a Firefox user. I realize they have/had resolved most of those issues, but I wasn't coming back. Looks like history is repeating itself now.

I do have Firefox on my machine, but it is mostly for testing and is the 'third place' browser.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#14 CelestialAura

CelestialAura

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

Hello Animal, just came upon this and am curious, I've been stuck on Mozilla for years, as I like the addon/customize capabilities, but like a double edge sword, since with every update seems I lose a couple few addons... Is Opera or Lunascape customizable with addons? The ones I use most with FF are: BrowserProtect, FEBE, Ghostery, NoScript, BetterPrivacy, Change Referrer, Clippings, MyBookmarks, FxIF, Hide My Ass Proxy & Password Exporter. I also use dark/black/glass Noia 4 Theme. Just curious if Opera or Lunascape is as customizable, or has similar features? I'm flexible if it means more stability & security!

Thanks in advance for any input~

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Topic Starter

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hello,

Yes Lunascape is customizable since it uses all three browser engines. As for Opera, yes with the release of 11.0 I believe, they allowed the addition of add-ons. As to whether they have the add-ons you need I'm not sure. You can take a look here at their list of add ons.

http://www.opera.com/addons/

And Opera has the ability to be skinned as well.

http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/

Nice overview of features in Opera

Introduction to Opera

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users