Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead hdd?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kaidacat

Kaidacat

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

I recently bought an eGo hard drive used from someone off craigslist. Stupid idea, I'm beginning to find, though I thought getting a 500GB for only $30 was good, at the time.

It plugged in and you could hear the drive begin to spin. The LED light turned on, but it began beeping. It doesn't sound like a warning beep, but like it's trying to power up. After that, however, nothing.

My computer didn't recognize it at all. I checked disk management, BIOS on boot, device manager, everything I could think of. Finally, I popped open the case, which is a one shot deal, so I know the guy I bought it from couldn't have swapped it out.

It's a Seagate 5400.6 500GB HDD. Model number ST9500325AS. I tested the SATA connector with my laptop hard drive through a USB port, and though my OS didn't want to boot properly, everything was recognized without trouble. I've even tried swapping out the control boards(it turned out that my laptop HDD and this one were the exact same model).

Still nothing. Anyone have any idea what else I could try, or do I simply need to write it off as a lesson learned?
Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

It would seem that the HDD controller in the enclosure is gone. In this case you could buy an enclosure to put the drive in.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

Swapping the boards even though they are the same model may not work. They also need to the the same revision number. Since they are SATA can you plug the drive internally into your computer? If it is recognized then the enclosure is shot. If it is not then the drive maybe dead. Also if it is recognized when attached driectly to the computer run the manufacturers diagnostic program on it.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

Stupid idea, I'm beginning to find, though I thought getting a 500GB for only $30 was good, at the time.

Honestly, that was good idea as the price of 500gb Hardrive is around $30 a couple month ago.

I've even tried swapping out the control boards(it turned out that my laptop HDD and this one were the exact same model).

If you Hardrive still under warranty that was very bad idea as you could RMA it to get a brand new or Repaired Hardrive.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 gerry58

gerry58

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

Is the drive recognized in your hardware list? If not then the controller if bad. Pick up an external case for a few bucks and that should solve the problem. If you hear a clicking from the drive, its highly possible that the drive itself is bad. Clicking usually indicates the read head is hunting inside the drive.

#6 Kaidacat

Kaidacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

I have tried putting it in my laptop, it's still not being recognized. No clicking or scratching noises. If it wasn't for the beeping, it would seem completely normal. It beeps roughly 10-15 times, then all you can hear is the slight vibration that means it's powered up and [supposedly] running.

My computer is simply not recognizing it at all.

As far as the enclosure, I did use the board to connect my hdd from my laptop itself. My OS didn't boot properly being used form the USB like that, but it was recognized and the computer did try to pull the information off the hdd. Wouldn't that board be the only difference with a new enclosure?

@abauw
What do you mean about getting a new one? Wouldn't that only apply to the one in my laptop?
The external one is not. I did check the serial.

#7 Kaidacat

Kaidacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

By not recognized, I mean that I'm plugging it in and the computer does nothing. It doesn't say anything about a USB being plugged in, it doesn't say anything about an unrecognized device, it doesn't say anything at all. The hdd does receive power and seem to turn on, but it's as if the computer is ignoring it.

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

Since your laptop drive is being seen when plugged into the enclosure than the likely suspect is the hard drive itself. Download the drive manufacturers diagnostic program and burn it to a disk. Boot from the cd/dvd and try to run the diagnostics on the drive. If it still cannot be found or if it doesn't pass it is dead. If so either get a replacement drive for that enclosure or buy a new one.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#9 gerry58

gerry58

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Go to the drive manufacturers website, some of the hard drives are actually warranted for several years. All you need is the serial number from the drive label.

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

@abauw
What do you mean about getting a new one? Wouldn't that only apply to the one in my laptop?
The external one is not. I did check the serial.

If your Hardrive is under warranty you could RMA it to Manufacture Brand to get Replacement Hardrive.
But when you swapping out the control boards it could void your warranty.
About serial that you talking about, does it your Windows serial or your Hardrive serial?

Btw, does that Hardrive detected on BIOS or not? just plug your Hardrive and go to BIOS Setup and check does it detected or not?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#11 Kaidacat

Kaidacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

I swapped them back. And, I've been talking about the hdd serial, not the computer or even my current laptop hdd serial. And, no. The computer doesn't seem to recognize it whatsoever. Bios, boot, nothing. I've yet to try booting from the manufacturer's diag tools, though.

#12 gerry58

gerry58

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

If the BIOS does not see the drive when connected directly to the sata cable then the prognosis is not good. More than likely the controller board mounted to the drive is bad. If the drive itself was bad, the BIOS usually sees the drive but cannot read from it. I would write off the $30 investment to a learning experience.

#13 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

At least you still have the enclosure, as said all you would have to do is buy a drive of the same dimensions and stick it in the enclosure, most of the time it will work with out issue. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#14 gerry58

gerry58

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

Great idea, the only problem is that with the worldwide shortage of hard drives the price has escalated to $75.00 and up for a 500Gb 2.5" hard drive

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

Thats still pretty cheap, even with the rise in prices.

I remember back when the going rate for hard drive space was a dollar a megabyte (not gigabyte).
A long time ago I bought a used 340 megabyte drive for $340 and thought it was a good deal.

Overall, hard drive prices have declined.
Just experiencing a supply problem I hope.

If you are in no rush wait for the after Christmas sales.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users