Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys Adapter Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:26 AM

Hello everyone. I have another problem with my computer. I have a Linksys USB Wireless Network Adapter (Model WUSB54G) and I have had it for a while. The problem is, when you are using the internet, like when browsing, sooner or later the adapter will show it connected at 2.0 mbps and stop working. I can click "repair" and it will fix the problem, but only for a few minutes. After about 4-5 times of doing this, it stops working altogether, and doesnt show up in the device manager, and makes the 'ding' sound that the computer makes when you unplug a USB device. But if it sits idle it will stay connected forever. The computer is XP Home, 1.2 Duron, 256 ram.

Another thing I should add is we are using a Linksys Router, with one computer wired to it- windows 98, and we have 2 laptops (one with built in wireless- windows xp, one with a Linksys Wireless Notebook Adapter- windows 2000) and another computer with the Linksys USB Wireless Network Adapter- windows 2000, but this one works fine. None of the other computers do this, infact i cant remember the last time I had a problem with the networks on any of the other computers, just the one mentioned above. I have tried reinstalling it several times, but nothing works.

Any help is appreciated! thanks, -Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:41 AM

Try changing the wireless channel. Often times this will be caused by interference by A phone, or some other wireless device sharing the same channel.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:43 AM

Have you tried to stop running programs that are running in the background one at a time? You probibly have a conflict.
Personally I would ditch anything USB. PCI is far more stable. For me USB is voodoo computer on a good day. Never like it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:53 AM

Like i said, we have about 6 linksys wireless adapters, all configured the same, so i think changing the channel wont do much, since the others are all on CH6, same with this one, so I dont think it would make a difference?

Usually the only programs that are running are Internet Explorer and MSN messenger, and it will still not work when messenger is closed. So maybe a conflict with internet explorer? I couldnt imagine that, but with anything microsoft makes who knows...

Also another computer has the exact same adapter, so i wonder why it doesnt have the same problems? The only reason I have the Usb version instead of PCI is my last computer had half-height card slots and the pci version obviously wouldnt fit, so i just got a usb instead, and when i got this new computer, i didnt want to fork out $60 more for a pci version if i already had a usb one that would work on it.

btw- thanks for the fast replys -Nick

#5 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:56 AM

Well, actually I had this exact problem: 4 computers all hooked up wirelessly using the same channel but the one in my room didn't want to connect. I Changed the channel to 9 and and it worked... Its worth A shot. It's usually the last thing you would think of.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#6 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:59 AM

ok ill try it.

#7 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:04 AM

Ok ive looked all over, and I cant find the place where you can change the channel. Ideas? I use the Windows XP zero configuration, so i think the channel might be automatically set.

#8 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:11 AM

You have to type the router's ip adress in your browers adress bar. It should be 192.168.1.1 if not then try 192.168.2.1

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#9 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:15 AM

If I change the channel in the router, will it change it for all the adapters?

#10 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:55 AM

Yes, it should. The router will only transmit through the one channel you set it to. The adapters should pick this up immediately. If they don't then you can set them up manually, but I doubt that you will have too.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users