Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plextor Dvd-rw Drive Complications

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 neogen10

neogen10

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:16 AM

Rather peculiar case here.

I installed this drive last March. At first it didn't work, but after messing with my settings a bit (can't remember what i did) i got it going (same day i put it in, took a few hours).

I have a CD-RW drive as well.

Basically, this is the situation:

The DVD drive worked fine for awhile, but lately, it hasn't. My CD-RW drive won't read ANY disc, and my DVD-RW drive seems to think it's a CD-RW drive, only reading CD's, not DVD's (wierd, eh?). I thought at first maybe it was broken, or maybe it wasn't a dvd drive like i thought... nope, works fine on my other comp.

So i checked my wiring (not even if sure if that could cause this) and it seems fine.

The computer says they're both there, and at the same time says they're working.

If i try to play a DVD, i get an I/O device error. No clue how to fix this at all.

Then i have another interesting error i encountered while trying to fix THIS problem. I don't know what caused it, something with my registry or bios or something, but here it is:

I right click my computer and go to manage... i get the following.

MMC.EXE - bad image
the application or dll C:/WINDOWS/system32/mfc42u.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

Now, considering it hasn't been much more than maybe five or six months since i reformatted, this is kind of suprising. I don't know what this is... i checked a few web pages, including Microsofts... no luck so far.

(Windows XP home edition)

If you guys can help me out here in ANY way, i'd appreciate it greatly. This is driving me nuts... all i want is to watch/burn DVD's with this computer... and avoid stupid error messages like the above.

So hopefully someone out there can help. If not, i'll go back to praying for a flawless OS with flawless tech thats easily installed and understood. You know, because all my prayers are answered. All the time.

Anyway, thanks in advance if you even so much as read this far.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:22 AM

As for your DVD rom drive complications: either you don't have the jumpers in the right positions or you have them hooked up to the wrong IDE (Ribbon) cable slots. Are you trying to hook up the DVD or the CD-RW as the master?

As for your other problem: Im sorry to say that I can't help you. Im sure someone else will read this and be able to help though :thumbsup: .

Edited by WlkingMan, 04 February 2006 - 12:23 AM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 neogen10

neogen10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:24 AM

The CD-RW should be the master. (It worked before, with it as master and this as slave, which is why im so confused, i tried to use a dvd for the first time in a bit and it just didnt work)

#4 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:31 AM

Sometimes it will trick you like that. Make sure that both drives' jumpers are in the correct slots. Sometimes you have to play around with them because the diagrams are often incorect or hard to understand. Also make sure that they are in the correct spots on the IDE cable. There should be lables for such. It will say HDD and Slave, or HD1 and HD2, or something along those lines. If there are no such lables then it is likely that the one at the end of the cable is for the master.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#5 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:34 AM

Also try using a different cable if you have one lying around, the one you have might be bad, causing your drives to show as they are.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:51 AM

We had a member 8 or 9 months ago have a similar problem. Turned out to be a bad IDE cable.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users