Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanting to upgrade Video Card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Caiterz

Caiterz

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

I've got the HP Pavilion P7-1010, which according to the 'net, has three PCIe x1 slots and one PCIe x16 slot.. with a 250w power supply.

I dont know anything about upgrading video card, but one thing i've heard is, i need a new power supply.

DiabloTek 350Watt ATX Power Supply - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4365849&sku=D15-1204

Its a decent price.. but has anyone ever used DiabloTek? I've never heard of it.

---

For the vid card:

Fan vs Heatsink? I would Fan would be better..

Umm..

-I dont need the slim profile ones
-I DO want DirectX11 Compatible.
-I do NOT want a refurbished one.
-I need VGA slot.

But like, I dont really know anything.. What is better vs what?

Sparkle SXT5201024S3LNM GeForce GT 520 Video Card - 1GB, DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), DVI, HDMI, VGA, DirectX 11, Single-Slot, Low Profile http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=457402&CatId=3669

Galaxy 52GGS4HX2HXZ GeForce GT 520 Video Card - 1GB, DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), DVI, HDMI, VGA, DirectX 11, Single-Slot, Low Profile http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=306254&CatId=3669

Its like, I look at these 2, and it's like.. which one is better? I dont know.. They're both 1GB, yet have so different reviews?

And I'm confused by many of the reviews!

They say the Galaxy one is "No better than onboard default graphics card" Yet how CAN it be??? its 1GB vid card VS 128MB Onboard! HOW is it not better?

How do I tell which ones are 'no better than onboard'?

I really wanna spend around ~35-40$ for a vid card, I dont do a LOT of PC gaming, but I'd like to have something 1/2 ways decent for when I do. and if its no better than whats onboard, whats the point? D:

Thank you~

-Confused

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

I believe your HP computer has an on-board ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics card. The PowerColor Go! Green AX6450 1GBK3-SH Radeon HD 6450 1GB is a little more powerful than a GT 520. The difference between a heatsink and a fan is that the heatsink is passive, there is no fan on it. Those graphics cards are good for low-end cards in cases with good cooling. Take reviews with a grain of salt, there are varying kinds of on-board graphics. If that reviewer was going from a Sandy Bridge or even AMD APU A6 or A8 system to a GT 520, the performance gap wouldn't be that major. In fact, in the case of AMD's APU-based systems, it would probably be a downgrade as those graphics cards operate at Radeon 6550 levels. Also, it is not just the amount of video memory you have, but also how fast the card is clocked, the architecture, the clock of the RAM, etc. that determines the performance of the card.

Diablotek power supplies aren't that special, and for $14, how good can it be? Assuming your case can take a standard ATX power supply, I would go for something else like ENERMAX NAXN ENP350AST 350W or the SILVERSTONE SST-ST40F-ES 400W. You also don't need to worry too much about having a VGA port, most cards come with a DVI to VGA dongle. You won't get HDCP with VGA, but you will get a decent resolution.

3939.png

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Based from information i found from HP, it is ATX power supply and you should have plenty of space in the case for a graphics card.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Caiterz

Caiterz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:44 AM

:x i bought a DVI to VGA dongle for the DVI slot already on my comp.. and it didnt work. I asked about it,and they said that I neeeded some converter box becuase DVI wont accept VGa, since its going from digital to analog (similar to the TV switcH)

#5 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

The DVI socket on your video output needs the 4 pins (2 on each side of the tab) when connecting to a VGA monitor,
those pins are the analog output from the DVI socket. I had an older video card that had that analog capability
on the DVI, my new Mobo doesn't have those in the onboard graphics socket so it won't work with an analog monitor
using the DVI to VGA cable/adapter. That non analog capable DVI type is a 25 pin or 24+1 where the flat tab is
the 25th pin, I believe it is a DVI-D type connector. There are maybe 6 different types of DVI connectors right now.
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users