Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shuts off mid-game; fans are clean and not blocked

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LastResort

LastResort

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

Since January I've had an off-and-on problem with my laptop: no matter what I do, it shuts off while I'm playing a game. It seems to be overheating, yet the fans are clean and are not blocked; however, they don't seem to want to run anywhere near their max speed. Sometimes my framerate will drop to about 20 FPS for a couple of minutes before this happens, but recently it's been shutting off with no warning and less than 10 minutes into the game. It is capable of being turned back on immediately, though I leave it to cool for a few minutes before turning it back on. Nothing I've done has helped the problem; blowing into the fans with canned air, using the the metal cooling rack that came with it, using wooden blocks to keep it a full inch above a table, and playing without the battery in have done nothing at all. (Edit: In July I had to send it to be repaired because the fan was making a loud humming noise and making no airflow; whatever happened seemed to be unrelated to this because it didn't fix this, too.)

Specs (from Speccy):
CPU: Intel Core i5 450M @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 3.8GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz
MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K42Jv
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M
HDD: 488GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA)

I've been asking for help since February, and nobody seems to have any idea. How do I fix this?

Edit: I have an active post on Reddit with more info if you need it.

Edited by LastResort, 10 December 2011 - 05:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

Laptops are not really for gaming/intensive gaming. I would suggest that used it primarily for basic browsing and other internet applications to check on the heat related shutdowns occuring.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users