Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no desktop icons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 microcap52

microcap52

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

I have a Dell dimension that recently when booting up shows the wallpaper but no desktop icons. It goes through the normal startup mode complete with sound, Microsoft XP logo, etc. Eventually it goes to screensaver which is a slideshow. CTRL ALT DEL does not bring up task manager. If attempting to start up in safe mode (tapping F8) I can select from menu where to start (last known config, safe mode, etc) but if I select safe mode the screen is black.

The machine did not come with an OS disk. Windows XP was already loaded. It came with a Dell driver disk and a Dell monitor disk. I bought a Windows XP disk on eBay from a reseller but it was a "copy" with no instructions and when attempting to start up with that disk in D drive nothing different happens. I went to Office Depot and they tell me that I can bring the machine in and they can fix it for $169 (and can salvage my data)or I can get a repair/recovery disk from Dell that will repair my machine but I will lose all data.

I called Dell, got somebody in India that I barely could understand who wanted to sell me year long service agreement. He FINALLY admitted that they could do a parallel re-install and I wouldn't lose any data but only if I would agree to pay $40 for the XP disk PLUS their fee for the install. I told him that I didn't feel that I should have to pay again for the disk that should have been packaged with my computer in the 1st place.

This can't be rocket science. I know there were some issues with my machine because I was getting the blue screen of death some before this happened (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) and I discovered that the machine thought there was an issue regarding drivers/new hardware. Only thing was I hadn't installed any new hardware

I am really baffled and would appreciate any help as the computer is basically useless and I don't want to lose all of the data and really didn't think that I neede to buy a new hard drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

For additional information on IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL : http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000365.htm
Hardware or software could either be the culprit. Since you don't have yet your Win XP disc, have you tried removing atleast one stick of RAM, reinstalling your video driver.

Eventually it goes to screensaver which is a slideshow

Can you boot normally to windows and or disable slideshow?

Tekken

#3 microcap52

microcap52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

Can't boot to windows. Nothing on screen except wallpaper, no start menu, task bar, etc. Can move cursor but with nothing to click on it is no value.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

What happens if you select "Safe mode with command prompt"?

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users