Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore/Repair fails

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lily71

lily71

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

I'm hoping someone can help me save my pc! I have a Gateway LX6810-01. Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1. 8 GB DDR2 Memory. 640 GB Hard Drive. Vista came preinstalled, I do not have a Vista disk. The only thing I have is a Gateway Recovery Disk, that I assume will restore my PC to how it was out of the box....minus my photos and files :o I have only backed up some of my photos, so there are still a decent amount that I don't want to lose.

The problem seemed to start when I was infected with the Vista Security 2012 Virus. I ran Malware Bytes and Super AntiSpyware and it appeared to have removed the virus. Just to be safe I thought I'd do a System Restore and go back a few days.

When I ran the System Restore it took very long. Ordinarily this only takes my computer a few minutes but this time I started it at night and when I got up in the morning (a good 8 hrs later) it was still at the exact same place. In my ignorance I thought it had frozen and....I'm ashamed to admit, I hit the power button. Then things really went bad. I tried to power it back up and it only got to the Microsoft Windows screen with the green loading bar and then System Repair came up. Repair ran and then told me that System Repair could not fix this problem. The problem details reported:

Problem Event Name Startup RepairV2
Problem Signature 01 AutoFailover
Problem Signature 02 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03 0
Problem Signature 04 65537
Problem Signature 05 unknown
Problem Signature 06 OsVersion Mismatch
Problem Signature 07 0
Problem Signature 08 0
Problem Signature 09 unknown
Problem Signature 10 1168
OS Version 6.0.600.2.0.0.2561
Local ID 1033

I then selected the Advanced Options and tried to do a System Restore from an earlier date. Again I got another error message:
System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed due to an unspecified error. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x80070450)

I can't access (or figure out how to access) any of my files, etc since I can't get past that System repair screen.

Can anyone help? Do you think if I downloaded and burned a Vista Recovery CD I could solve this issue? (I read about that on another site.)

Thanks for any suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

Hello lily71,

The Vista Recovery CD only gives you the same options that you have now via "Repair my computer;" specifically "Startup Repair," System Restore," and "Command Prompt." These options haven't seemed to work for you thus far.

You could attempt to use "Last known good configuration" by performing the following:
  • As the computer is booting, tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the "Windows Advanced Options Menu."
  • Note: - on some computers, a "Boot Menu" may appear first, with a listing of hard drives, DVD/CDROMs, etc. If that occurs, use the arrow keys to highlight your boot drive, press <Enter> and immediately start pressing the "F8 key" again.
  • When the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" appears, use your arrow keys to move to "Last Known Good Configuration" then press the <Enter> key.
If that doesn't work, it is probably a good time to attempt to recover files and photos from your system. While there are many ways to accomplish this, one of the fastest and easiest is using Puppy Linux live CD.

What you will need:
  • Another computer with a CD burner, a blank recordable CD disc, and a USB Flash drive or external USB drive large enough to rescue all of your documents.
View a tutorial: Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux.

Once all of your files are safely backed up, you could continue to query other advisors suggestions or as a last resort, use the Gateway restore disk.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 lily71

lily71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

Hi Artrooks!

Thank you for your reply. I tried tapping F8 and it never launches the Windows Advanced Menu Option. It goes straight to running Startup Repair. (I did start tapping F8 as soon as the pc restarted.) When my Gateway splash screen comes up it says hit F2 for Bios or F10 for Boot Menu. I tried selecting F10 which gives me a choice of drives to boot from and then selecting my hard drive and started hitting F8 immediately but again it just launches into Startup Repair.

When repair ran this time it said "The OS Version is incompatible with Startup Repair."

I haven't made any changes to the OS other than the usual updates that come from MS. Do you think my hard drive is toast? The incompatible error message give me a little hope because I'm thinking maybe if I just need to reinstall Vista...which would be a less expensive option than buying a new pc???? But I'm not very good at this stuff so maybe my hope is a false hope! :scratchhead:

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

I think it would be a good time to backup any data, photos, etc. See if you can follow the Puppy Linx instructions in post #2.

View the tutorial and download link here: http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/windows-vista/troubleshooting-windows-vista/recover-files-from-hard-disk-vista.html#.TuTnDGNC9X0

If all goes well, linux will be able to mount your hard drive so you can access your data. If you are apprehensive about this, maybe you have a more knowledgeable friend who can help you.

We can always try other diagnostics after data backup.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 lily71

lily71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

Ok, I made a copy of the Puppy Linux cd and backing up data, etc tonight. Once this is done, what kind of diagnostics can I run?

Also I have my Gateway Recovery disks that I made when I first got the computer...should I try loading those or try the diagnostics first?

Thanks again for your help!!

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

Hello lily71,

Try this after you are satisfied that all your data is backed up.

I then selected the Advanced Options and tried to do a System Restore from an earlier date.

Using "Advanced Options" as you tried before, can you access "Safe mode with command prompt?"

If you can, then run a disk check with repair option as follows:

• At the "C:\Windows\System32" prompt, type chkdsk c: /r (note the space between the "k" and "c" and the ":" and "/") then press <enter>. (Note - This assumes your system disk is C)
  • You will receive the following message: "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) " Type Y then <enter>.
  • After "This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts", type exit then <enter>. The screen will be black.
  • Press the Ctr-Alt-Del keys simultaneously.
  • Click on the "arrow" of the red rectangle on the bottom right of the screen and select "Restart." Allow the computer to start in normal mode.
  • Allow Check Disk to finish all 5 stages. This make take several hours and may appear to even freeze at times. Allow it to complete uninterrupted.
  • During the final phase, it will notify you if it finds any corrupted files.
  • When Check Disk is finished, it will continue loading windows.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 lily71

lily71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:04 AM

Ok, I did this but my Advanced Options only said "Command Promt" It did not specify if it was in Safe mode. I ran the chkdsk overnight and this morning it showed that it completed 5 of 5 steps. It also said:

"Windows has made corrections to file systems."

"Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50."

I exited out of Command Prompt and restarted but when it came back up it still showed the Startup Repair running and then said Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically....exactly as it did before. :(

Any next steps? Thanks so much for your help.

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

I would run chkdsk /r from the command prompt again. It can take several runs to fix all errors. We're looking for a "no errors found" message.

Do you know the manufacturer of your hard drive? Know anyone with a Vista x64 installation DVD?

Edited by Artrooks, 14 December 2011 - 05:39 PM.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 lily71

lily71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

Currently running chkdsk for the third time....we'll see what happens. The 2nd time it gave same results as the 1st time I ran it.

I'm not sure of the manufacturer of the hard drive. Would I need to open the case to find out? I can do that if you think its needed. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with the Vista 64 disk...I've already asked around.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:19 AM

Have you been able to backup your data?

If Chkdsk isn't successful, we could run a diagnostic of your hard drive to rule out a failing drive. If the drive checks out "OK" you might be looking at performing a system recovery.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 lily71

lily71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hi,

I ran chkdsk several times and kept getting the same message. Since I was able to back everything up I went ahead and used my Gateway Recovery disks. It restored everything to factory settings and I'm happy to say I'm able to use my computer again!!

Thanks so much for your help!

#12 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

That's good news. I'm glad to hear you are "up and going" again.

Now make sure your Antivirus is current and updated.

The free version of Malwarebytes Anti-malware is an excellent on demand scanner and would be a good supplement for your current Antivirus program. Update it and run a "quick scan" weekly.

Make sure you continually check "Windows Update" and download all Vista Service Packs (SP1 and SP2) and all post SP2 updates. This seems to take longer with Vista, as the updates are released in smaller batches. It will no doubt take you several days. Be careful where you surf until all updates are installed.

Also update older versions of Java, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash Player, and Quicktime Player, as older versions of these programs are frequent targets for malware.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users