Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crazy Internet Speeds

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 insydedan

insydedan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hello everyone, I have an issue that I am hoping that you can help me with. This all started about 2ish weeks ago. I started noticing that my internet speeds were varying all over the place from .4 Mb/s to over 11Mb/s (see link to speedtest.net). These speed jumps are with in minutes of each other. I have called my internet provider, suddenlink, many times. They have dispatched a truck to my house and they are baffled with the speed jumps. I have had 2 different cable modems hooked up and it makes no changes to the speeds. If it helps I had a Linksys CM100, then suddenlink provided a cisco 2100. I purchased a motorola surfboard 6121 fron newegg. That one would not even link up to the internet at all (it could be DOA), so I am in the process of doing an RMA on it. The techs I spoke with seem set on that I have spyware that is hogging my connection, even though this is happening on my windows 7 desktop and a Apple MBP Laptop. It does not matter if one device or 10 is connected to the net the speeds still jump from minute to minute. Just to cover my bases ran hijack this on my windows 7 machine. The link is below to the log file.

I'm growing more and more tired of these speed jumps. I cant even use netflix, due to the ever chanding speeds. I would change internet providers if I had the choice to, but suddenlink is my only option here.

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=118df156b5b8deb8038163e53f204292&ria=0
http://hjt.networktechs.com/parse.php?log=948433

below is the specs to my PC.

CPU:3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2500K
MOBO: P67A-G45 (MS-7673) 2.0
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
Video card: GTX460

thanks for any advice you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

Hi -
There are many reasons for spikes in Internet access times. At the moment I can only get 1.3 Mbps downloads - -
I do not understand why the second link (to a HJT log) has been left here ??
If this for a malware problem Please post in the Malware removal or the Am I infected area -

Thank You-

Edited by noknojon, 10 December 2011 - 04:06 PM.

#3 ProfessorBean

ProfessorBean

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

actually sometimes a faulty ground or even an inline signal booster can be to blame,

can you describe how your internet is run into your house?

#4 insydedan

insydedan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

I'm not sure what information you need Professor. I have cable internet and TV. I have 2 televisions hooked up (one with and one with out a box). Cable is giving no issues. Internet line is coming directly out from the wall into the modem, no splitter or anything. As for outside the house I have no idea, I am just a renter.

noknojon-- I posted it here cause i do not think I am infected, just a link if anyone cares to look at it.

Edited by insydedan, 11 December 2011 - 07:28 PM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

If its happening on all connecting computer, then it could be on the router/modem or internet provider.

Tekken

#6 insydedan

insydedan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

It is on all computers and devices, regardless of if one is on or everything is on. And I'm fairly certain it's the ISP or the lines outside. I have had a tech come out and look at it. They saw the crazy jumps in speeds but either lacked the knowledge to trouble shoot it properly, or they did not care. Is there any way to track or log my speed spikes? I have been running speed tests every few hours and they are all saved. I just do not know what to do besides keep calling the ISP every day and complaining, but I don't like doing that any more then they like hearing it.

The speed jumps are happening with 2 different cable modems. I am getting the same results with and with out a router, so I doubt it's either of those.

#7 ProfessorBean

ProfessorBean

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

well to track your internet speeds, maybe a tool like http://www.nonags.com/freeware-nisc_1717.html would help, or you can find others with a simple search, what kind of router do you have? or how do you split the internet to all your computers? and if you connect 1 computer directly to the internet modem, do you still have the spikes in speed?

Edited by ProfessorBean, 12 December 2011 - 05:43 PM.

#8 insydedan

insydedan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for that link professor I'll use that to watch the speeds.

I am currently using an Apple AirPort Extreme. I have the coaxial line from the wall with no splits, going straight into the cable modem. Cat 5 line from the modem to the router. One desktop hard wired in, and a WDTV live wired to another room with cat 6 I believe. Other devices in our house share the wireless.

#9 Suddenlink Help

Suddenlink Help

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hi- My name is Tina and I am with Suddenlink. I'd be happy to work with management in your area to help resolve the speed fluctuation issues you are experiencing. Please contact me directly at tina@suddenlink.com for assistance. Thanks!

#10 ProfessorBean

ProfessorBean

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

ok well what about if you only hook up the cable modem to one computer?(no router in between) do the speed jumps stop or slow down?

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

May I ask what is your subscribed connection speed? Those speedtest result showed you get 11 Mbps maximum. Is it possible that there is interference on the cable television, setup, coaxial(just curious).?

Tekken

#12 insydedan

insydedan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

Professor- I still get the speed fluctuations with out the router direct to the desktop. I also have tried it with direct to the laptop with a cat 5 and same as well.

jhayz- I am paying for a 10Mb/s down 1 up connection.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

<<I'd be happy to work with management in your area to help resolve the speed fluctuation issues you are experiencing. Please contact me directly at tina@suddenlink.com for assistance.>>

I suggest that you respond to this request by your ISP...seems like the smart thing to do.

Louis

#14 ProfessorBean

ProfessorBean

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

<<I'd be happy to work with management in your area to help resolve the speed fluctuation issues you are experiencing. Please contact me directly at tina@suddenlink.com for assistance.>>

I suggest that you respond to this request by your ISP...seems like the smart thing to do.

Louis

if she's actually a Representative...

Mod Edit: I checked that out...before...I made my response ~ Hamluis.

however insy, i would think maybe the connection is jacked possibly in the box where your cable comes in, usually you don't need a ground for cable because the line has +12 volts running through it to boost the signal, what it sounds like is that your getting too much power then it drops off... meaning somewhere there is something putting more power into it.... lol i would need to be there and walk around your house looking for possible spots where the shielding might be damaged and messing things up.... BUT considering i don't live near you you'll have to rely on your ISP to check all the cabling..... just keep calling and complaining, and demand a free month of service...

Edited by hamluis, 13 December 2011 - 04:30 PM.

#15 insydedan

insydedan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

I have received a call back from my ISP stating that they have found issues in my area and would like to come back to my house and again see what is going on now. I did contact Tina, the Suddenlink rep that posted on here. I'm just glad that they discovered something in the area. It makes me feel better that they are working to correct it. Who knows maybe other people were experiencing it but did not even know they were. I'll post again once they get back to me again as were playing phone tag now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users