Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% CPU usage by ccSvcHst.exe when Norton Internet Security updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

Yesterday, Norton Internet Security started having extremely high CPU usage when updating. It is so bad that I am unable to watch any videos on the computer. Also, most updates have failed since this started occurring. Does anyone know what is happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

ccSvcHst.exe is a file related to Symantec (Norton) products that appears to be used during scheduled scans or when updating.

If you do a Google Search, you will find this is a common complaint from Symantec users who have posted about it many times in the Norton Support forums and elsewhere. This possible solution seemed to work for some users but it's not official and was not addressed by any Norton forum representative.

I have yet to find an official explanation of the ccSvcHst.exe high cpu usage from Norton as there seems to be various causes and solutions so they probably feel it is better to deal with the issue on a case by case basis.

Michael York is an Authorized Symantec Representative who sometimes answers questions in this forum. He helped a member with a similar complaint in this discussion thread. If Michael does not see this topic, you can always Contact Norton Support <- Chat, Email, Phone, Forums.

Edited by quietman7, 10 December 2011 - 04:17 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

Restarting the computer fixed it. This computer used to be restarted every night, but now it isn't restarted until it gets too slow for me to use. The other two people that use this computer don't care about its performance anymore.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

As long as that works for you and you're satisfied.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users