Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Terrestrial radio static goes to static every day

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

At my place of work (financial institution), we have a regular dial radio (not digital) that we play a local terrestrial radio station on & for the last several weeks, like clockwork, the radio station just cuts out to static at 4:21pm (it was cutting out at 4:35pm, then suddenly started doing it earlier). No other radio station is affected & the radio station's internet stream plays fine.

Does anyone have a clue of what may be causing the interference?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

Many radio stations are licensed for one power level during the day and a lower power level and/or different antenna pattern at night. Radio wave propagation changes from day to night and this is a way to prevent interference. The station you are listening to is probably fairly weak to begin with and with the power/pattern change at sunset it totally goes away.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

I think ddeerrff has it, but I would also ask if it's an AM or FM station. Does your place of business turn on any electrical equipment or fluorescent lights at sunset?

#4 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

It's an AM station in town. By the time the station goes off in the late afternoon, we're usually turning things off to get ready to go home. And the station comes in fine when I get into my car in the parking lot.

As for cellphones, all five of us on the same floor as the radio use our cellphones fairly regularly throughout the day, every day.

It's just a very curious thing. It's become a running gag. They were playing Manfred Mann's "The Mighty Quinn" & a couple of us joked that we wanted the station to hold out at least until the song was done before it went to static. Needless to say, we missed the end of the song. :dance:

ddeerrff, I think you may have something with the power level/antenna pattern.

Edited by lonewolfette9847, 13 December 2011 - 11:43 PM.

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

Plug in your radio station call letters here:
http://radio-locator.com/

It will give you daytime and nighttime power levels, and some station will also have antenna patterns and coverage shown.

Car radios are some of the most sensitive receivers you will find. It is not uncommon to be able to hear a particular station on a car radio and not be able to hear it on any other receiver in the same area.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:24 AM

Thanks, ddeerrff. Here's their page:

http://radio-locator.com/info/WUPE-AM

And I only see a Daytime listing...

Hours of Operation Daytime Operation Only
Antenna Mode Directional - Daytime Only

They had to have just happened to change something a few weeks ago. *shrugs* And it's still happening. As long as it doesn't get much earlier... We don't get hardly any other (good) radio stations where we are.

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:54 AM

WUPE-AM should actually be going off the air at sunset. When you get out to the car (after WUPE has gone to static inside) and are able to receive a station on 1110 KHz are you sure it is WUPE and not another station on the same freq?

FCC data page is here: http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=71436

You might want to direct a query directly to the station. Contact information should be somewhere here: http://www.wupe.com/

Other 'Oldie' stations in MA: http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?call=&band=Both&freq=&freq_exact=Yes&city=&state=MA&country=u&format=old&owner_search=starts&owner=&scope=&count=20&is_lic=Y&is_cp=Y&is_unl=Y&is_ful=Y&is_lp=Y&sort=Call&sr=1&sid=
Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Wow, that's interesting because they run 24/7. I might just have to throw my question at one of the DJs (I won several contests through them & usually with the same DJ).

Thanks, ddeerrff.

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

That is interesting. Wonder if the records I found are outdated or what. Let me know if you get this figured out.
Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users