Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logical Drive - unbootable

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HavokTheorem

HavokTheorem

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

My friend recently upgraded to 7 with my help. However i made the mistake of making it a logical partition. Once he deleted his old Vista partition, the system was unbootable. Now he needs a way to convert the logical partition to a primary one. I had him try use gparted live to convert it, but gparted doesnt have that option. My next idea was to run puppy off a USB and use a partition manager on that. We are trying that now, but if anyone else has experience with this, please advise me on the best course of action. Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

I have not personally tried this but here are a few references:

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/25603-install-win7-logical-partition.html

I'm not certain that the free version of Paragon Partition Manager has a bootable cd or can convert the partion; however, Minitool Partition Manager has a free bootable CD. The current version is 7.0. I have the free, bootable version 6.0 and it does have an option (on the left) to convert logical to primary partition.

Download the Home version "Bootable CD" iso file (near the bottom of page): http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Good luck

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users