Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uh-Oh ... File Is Missing or Corrupt ...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stillanovice

stillanovice

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

I was on the pc earlier today and it seemed really slow to me. I rarely use it, but had to today. Because it was acting funny, I decided to update MBAM and do a scan. I never got to scan the pc because after I updated the program, I restarted the computer and when it came back up, I got a black screen with the following message:

Windows is unable to restart. The following file is missing or corrupt: \Windows\System32\Config\System
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD

When I put in the CD, I didn't get a prompt to put in the letter "r" for the repair command.

What should I do? Any and all help is much appreciated! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

Are you able to boot into safemode??

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

Have a look at this link :)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

#4 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

I can't remember how to reboot in safe mode. Also, I looked at that link you provided ... can we assume I don't have an ASR backup available if I don't know what that is? I'm not trying to be funny, but really, my screen id says it all!!

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

Ok first thing first here is a link explaining how to boot into safemode.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mfr=true
Let me know if you are able to do so and we can start from there.

#6 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

ok, I can't do it until Saturday afternoon, so I'll give it a try then. Thank you!

#7 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

It won't let me reboot in safe mode - it just gives me the same error message

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

You have the Windows XP installation CD. You need to boot from this CD to get to the Recovery Console ... that's the first thing we need to work on.

With the CD in the optical drive tray, re-start the computer. What happens?
Do you see a message on-screen at some time to "press any key boot from CD"? If so, press any key and allow it to boot. What happens?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

I put the CD into the tray and restarted the computer. Nothing happened - it gave me the same error message as before. There is no prompt for me to hit "R" for repair or anything else. When I restart and try to get it into safe mode, that menu comes up but when I arrow down to "safe mode" it still won't go into that. Instead it cycles back to the error message.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

I put the CD into the tray and restarted the computer. .... it gave me the same error message as before.

So, the system is not trying to boot from the CD, and that is what we need to get it to do.

Leave the CD in the optical drive tray. Press the ON button to start the computer and start tapping the F12 key ... and keep slowly tapping about every second or so ...

Do you eventually get to see a boot menu, offering the choice of which device you want to boot from? If so, choose the CD-ROM/Atapi device and press the <ENTER> key and the system should boot from the CD.

Let us know what happens.

Your particular system may not even have the F12 option available to show a boot menu. If that is the case, you will need to enter the BIOS Setup menu (usually by tapping the <DEL> key when starting the computer) and find the Boot Menu in there. You will then need to change the boot order, so that the system attempts to boot first from the CD-ROM drive, before attempting to boot from the hard drive. You will then need to Save the settings and exit the BIOS Setup Menu and restart the computer. Then, as long as the CD is actually bootable, the system should boot from the CD.

I have to go out for a few hours: I will check on you when I get back.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

I followed your instructions with the F12 and it did give me a different menu than what I've been seeing. The option I thought fit your description was, "Onboard or CD-ROM Drive." I highlighted that and hit Enter. It brought me back to the black screen with the original error message. Would you like me to try it again and give you the options that the menu gave me after I did the F12 trick?

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

Sorry about the overly long delay in getting back to you ... things happen! (Along with taking on too much work!)

Good: F12 brings you to the Boot Menu. That's a good start.

I am not too sure that your posted "Onboard or CD-ROM Drive" message is likely to be exactly correct: Perhaps it might have been "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive" instead. Either way, that should have been the correct option for you to choose.

Assuming all was well with the option you did choose ... and then you ended up with the system still attempting to boot to the hard drive ... leads me to question whether the CD that you are trying to boot from, is actually bootable.

Please describe as fully as possible, the CD that you are attempting to use/boot from. Can you test whether or not you can boot from it in another computer ... if you believe it is/should be bootable?

Edited by AustrAlien, 11 December 2011 - 07:49 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users