Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bix

Bix

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:54 PM

A friend of mine has been trying to send me some picture files but I am getting this message when he tries, what I think is strange is that the bounce source is not my ISP ( Adelphia ) Could it be that I have a virus ?

Return-Path: <>
Subject: ATTENTION: Bounced Message Notification, total bytes stored.
Date: <Bounce_Notice_Date>

A message was sent to you that was returned to the sender(bounced)
because it would have caused your mailbox quota to be exceeded.

The following is the reason that the message was over quota:

Quota Type: total bytes stored
Quota Available: 176641
Total Quota: 5120000

The following is the information on the message that was bounced:

Sender:
Subject: 7 only one in this .. end of column
Size: 802107
Message ID: <MOEKIKLOFDHPPNLIOJPCAENBCAAA.
Date: Fri Feb 3 19:49:13 2006

Reply-To: [No Reply-To]

To fix this problem, delete some messages from your mailbox, and contact
the sender to resend the message.

If the size of the message is too big, contact the sender to reduce the
size of the message and resend the message.

Edited by Bix, 03 February 2006 - 09:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bix

Bix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

I removed my friend's address from the message to protect him .

Message ID: <MOEKIKLOFDHPPNLIOJPCAENBCAAA ( his e-mail addy was in this line , strange no ? )

It was also in the sender line of course

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:27 PM

Because you're expecting the email from your friend, I'd suspect that the funky address was due to another server that Adelphia uses for email. You might want to google for the bounce address to see if you can link it to Adelphia.

Also, it says that you friend was sending 802107 bytes to you - and you only have 176641 available. I'd suggest that you follow their instructions and remove some emails from your account.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Bix

Bix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:54 AM

Because you're expecting the email from your friend, I'd suspect that the funky address was due to another server that Adelphia uses for email. You might want to google for the bounce address to see if you can link it to Adelphia.

Also, it says that you friend was sending 802107 bytes to you - and you only have 176641 available. I'd suggest that you follow their instructions and remove some emails from your account.

What I don't understand is that these e-mails are stored on my hard drive , right ? So why would removing e-mails from my drive free up room in my account ? Where is this account ?

#5 Bix

Bix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:58 AM

I have alot of unread mesages in my outlook express , are these stored on the mail server until I actually open them in outlook ?

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:46 AM

I have alot of unread mesages in my outlook express , are these stored on the mail server until I actually open them in outlook ?

Once these messages are downloaded to your computer then they are removed from the sever even if you wait a month to open them.

In some cases the server may fault and the messages do not get removed.
Log onto your ISP and enter your mail box and check to see if the messages you have downloaded are not still showing in the server inbox.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

Make sure your friend isn't trying to send you bitmap pictures. Those can go several megabytes each. I had a similar problem recently.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:01 PM

There are settings in the various email programs that will enable you to leave email on the server while downloading it to your local system. I suspect that's what happened here.

Log into the webmail feature of your ISP. From there you'll be able to see what's stored on their servers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users