Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CURSOR LOSES "CLICK-ABILITY"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Koosharem

Koosharem

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

This happens every now and then. Sometimes right after boot up (with the Desktop displayed), and sometimes after I have been using the system for sometime. It seems I can move the cursor anywhere on the screen, but if I want to select/activate say, an icon, nothing happens! In such a case, even clicking on "Start" (to shut down) has no effect. My only recourse then is to turn the computer off and re-boot. I don't like doing that but, so far, that seems to "fix" the problem (until the next time). Any suggestions? Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Uninstall the mouse driver from within Device Manager. Reboot the machine to let the mouse driver be reinstalled by Windows. This should get you back to default mouse configuration....
We'll see.
:wink:

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Boot to safemode by tapping F8 repeatedly upon pressing power button. Any difference?

Tekken

#4 Koosharem

Koosharem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

Uninstall the mouse driver from within Device Manager. Reboot the machine to let the mouse driver be reinstalled by Windows. This should get you back to default mouse configuration....
We'll see.
:wink:

bludgard --

Thank you for the suggestion. A question before I try it. I am using a Logitech wireless KB and mouse. If I uninstall the mouse driver, won't I lose control of the mouse without it? I found an updated version of the driver/setup, for both the KB & mouse, on Logitech's website. Should I just download that and install "over" what is already out there?

#5 Koosharem

Koosharem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

Boot to safemode by tapping F8 repeatedly upon pressing power button. Any difference?

jhayz --

I'm familiar with booting in safe mode. Are you suggesting I do that as an "experiment" -- to see how the mouse functions in that environment. Sometimes it takes a while before the problem shows up -- working in safe mode is rather awkward at best . . . I don't see where we're going with this. Posted Image

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

If the driver(s) came from Plug And Play (just plugging in the USB receiver ang off you go), then it should just reinstall itself. If the driver(s) came from a different source (say a CD or the like), you may want to have the (updated) driver(s) on hand before uninstalling the driver(s). As a matter of convenience.
If the driver(s) is/are just updated (installing over the older one(s), then you will have a chance to roll the driver back (to the former) in case of incompatibilities or problems. If the driver is uninstalled and removed from the machine (before installing the updated version), the roll back feature will not be an option.

What kind of recovery/backup program is in place to avoid regretting pushing the wrong button? :wink:

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:47 AM

Surely you would need to follow something as a suggestion. Safemode would check if its a hardware problem or software/driver conflict.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users