Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Advice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:18 PM

[size=2]I have a friend who has an eMachine T2682, the 250 watt power supply went out and burnt up the motherboard after 13 months of owning the computer.
I have another friend who has the emachine T2984 model and doesn't seem to be having problems with it, but we are wondering if we should replace the power supply before it causes the same problem.
These 2 models had different motherboards and I found many complaints on the T2682. I am not finding complaints on the T2984 and she is not having any problems so far. She has owned it almost a year now.

EMachine T2984
CPU: Intel® Celeron® D 340 Processor
Operates at 2.93GHz
256KB L2 cache & 533MHz FSB
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Chipset: Intel 845GV chipset
Memory: 512MB DDR (PC 2700)
Expandable to 2GB
Hard Drive: 80GB HDD
Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive
Media Reader: 8-in-1 digital media manager (USB 2.0, Secure Digital (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)
Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D
64MB Shared memory
Sound: AC '97 Audio
Network: Intel PRO 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Standard Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 ports (1 in Media Manager; 4 in back), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

She only uses the computer for word processing and internet.
I would like some advice or any similar experiences so we can decide whether or not to change the power supply now, just to be safe.
Thank you for any help you can give :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:52 PM

Upgrading, if you have the money, would not be a bad thing. The problem with emachines , Dell, and a few other name brand is they have the PS custom built for them so an off the shelf unit will not work.
I say go for it, but make sure the person selling it to you knows what they are doing.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:10 PM

I'm of the old school, and if it aint broke...don't fix it! I wouldn't bother with it unless there is a problem, usually if the PSU fails it will not take other components with it. IMHO it would be a waste of time and money to replace it just as a precaution.

Acklan is correct about their PSUs being manufactured for them, and because of this they will have an extra special price for their product compared to off the shelf models.

Edited by dc3, 03 February 2006 - 10:13 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:28 PM

Thank you for your help. I have found a compatible 400 watt power supply on ebay. KDM is the company name and they are advertising it as a replacement for this models power supply. This is the ebay item #

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

It's $49.89 free shipping.

I spoke with tech support for emachines and they told me any Micro ATX power supply will work.
I also believe in if it isn't broke, don't fix it. I have seen many power supplies go bad and they don't damage the motherboard.
But the research I have done on these emachines, the T2682, has shown many cases of the power supply going and damaging these emachine motherboards.
They have also discontinued both of these MBs and tech support said we would have to install a different ATX MB and buy another OS because the installation disk that came with the emachine will not install on another MB.
Do you think if I install something like Sandra Sisoftware and check on the MB temp and CPU temp, along with the psu readings, that this will be any warning if there is a problem?
Thank you again for all of your help!

#5 metafizx

metafizx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:45 AM

I have come across atleast 3 Emachines that have blown the power supply and it destroys the mobo as well.

Pretty weird, since most times a PSU fails it doesnt kill the mobo, but for some reason it does with these Emachines. SUX :thumbsup:

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:13 PM

I have had 2 more since this last eMachine. Same problem, and I agree with you totally, metafizx !!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users