Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Replacement Hard drive???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kim25

Kim25

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

Hi everyone, I just need your expert opinion on this matter before I call Dell back. Apparently my Hard drive went out on my new computer (6 mos.old)and I guess possible Motherboard problem as well, because the Dell tech told me they were sending a Hard drive & a motherboard to a service tech near me. Anyway, the tech came out with only the Hard drive. When I ask him where the Motherboard was, he didn't know anything about a motherboard...Dell did not send him one. He went ahead and installed the Hard drive & every thing seems to be working fine now for 4 days so far. My concern is, do you think my computer would still work ok if it has a faulty motherboard too? My warranty will be up in about 6 months & just want to make sure. I have a message to call Dell back & let them know how my service call went, but Just wanted your opinion before I do. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

"possible motherboard problem" along with them only fixing the hard drive leads me to believe it was only a faulty hard drive (which is very common).

I would casually mention in your return phone call about the motherboard, but don't push the issue. If the mobo is faulty [now], you'll know about it before 6 months is up (although you likely would already) and can take the appropriate measures for replacement if it comes down to that.

Btw, I hope you backup your data. :busy:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 09 December 2011 - 07:48 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Keyboard Ninja! I really appreciate your answer...I was wondering if the motherboard would shows signs before my 6 months left on my warranty expires, if indeed it is faulty! Apparently it will, so I feel much better now. Thanks again!

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

You're welcome. :)

When they said "possible motherboard problem", they were guessing. You obviously had a hard drive problem, and that's fixed now, so you should be good.

That is, not to say that the motherboard won't choke tomorrow (or next week, or 6 months and 1 day from now). Hardware can fail at any time without warning, but any recent problem(s) you had should be fixed now.

FYI, if you're worried about future hardware failure, you can always cough up the $$ for an extended warranty.

#5 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Yeah, I think I may check on an extended warranty to see how much it is. This computer was refurbished, so it does concern me somewhat.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Hmm...not sure if Dell does extended warranties on refurb's...it can't hurt to ask (your return call would be the perfect time!).

#7 Kim25

Kim25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

Good idea, I think I was able to buy one when I purchased it from Dell, but passed it up. So, I will ask when I call, if I still can buy it.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

:thumbup2: