Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Perflib_perfdata_218 Dat File Won't Delete

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 beakerr

beakerr

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:19 PM

After running "Clean Disk Security" It informed me that problems were encountered, it could not delete the DAT file"Perflib_Perfdata" from my temp files. I believe this is a performance log created by Windows XPs system monitor. I had brought up the system monitor yesterday while reading a post about it and discovered that this tool is still over my head. Now i don't know how to shut it down or at least stop it from running in the background. I attempted to "End Process" in the task managers applications section, It seemed to work but when i attempted to delete the DAT File I got the ole' "In use by another person or program" routine. Any thoughts? beakerr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:28 PM

I'm not sure if I follow exactly, but if you want to stop legitimate programs from running, go to:

Start > Run

type "msconfig" (without the quotes)

Click on the Startup tab. Here you will find a list of programs that start when you boot your computer. Uncheck any you don't want to start when you boot up. (You still will be able to start programs through their shortcuts or by going to Start > All Programs. Unchecked programs just won't start automatically at bootup and won't be running in the background.)
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 beakerr

beakerr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:35 PM

Thanks,

upon going to startup I have three programs listed:1)NvCpl
2)ccApp
3)qttask
Do you know what these are?
beakerr.

#4 beakerr

beakerr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

Hi Again I googled them myself they are nvidia, norton, and quicktime not related to my system manager, performance logs, or DAT Files. Ant other thoughts? Anybody?
beakerr.

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:21 PM

These are .dat files created by who knows what program all programs use .dat files and there is no way of telling which program created it and which one is using it because there is no way to open it.
If you feel you must remove them, most of the time you can delete them right after booting, but they will be back.. :thumbsup:

#6 beakerr

beakerr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

River Rat I think you nailed it! I shut down all nonessential programs in task manager, and was able to delete the last 16kb DAT file but it came back after reboot. After monitoring them though it does not appear as though they accumulate, the old ones seem to be deleted eventually through normal system cleaning. The big issue for me wasn't so much the 16kb file as much as my concern that system moniter was running in the background. I guess i'll google my task manager processes to see whats what. Its a sickness really my system is fast and smooth but i just can't leave it alone. always looking for that edge in online gameplay! (CSS) Unless anyone has anything else to add I guess it's safe to close the file ( pun intended) on this one. Thanks for your replys all. beakerr

#7 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

Thanks,

2)ccApp
3)qttask
beakerr.

CCApp is Norton Antivirus and qttask is QuickTime Task Manager.

It helps if you goggle the name too!

#8 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:57 PM

Thanks,

2)ccApp
3)qttask
beakerr.

CCApp is Norton Antivirus and qttask is QuickTime Task Manager.

It helps if you goggle the name too!

NVCPL.EXE is a process which is registered as the W32.SpyBot.S Worm. It takes advantage of the Windows LSASS vulnerability, which creates a buffer overflow and instigates your computer to shut down. To see more information about this vulnerability please look at the following Microsoft bulletin: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms04-011.mspx

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...slibrary/NVCPL/

#9 beakerr

beakerr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:17 PM

I think its a little different its "NvCpl" a dll. file associated with my Nvidia driver the worm is "NVCPL.EXE" I think but i will initiate a fury of scans to check. Any other thoughts on this file please let me know I'm no expert.

beakerr

#10 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:44 PM

I think its a little different its "NvCpl" a dll. file associated with my Nvidia driver the worm is "NVCPL.EXE" I think but i will initiate a fury of scans to check. Any other thoughts on this file please let me know I'm no expert.

beakerr

Yes this is your Video Adapter.
The NVCPL.EXE (W32.SpyBot.S Worm) would be causing other problems.
But it never hurts to run a scan & make sure.

#11 beakerr

beakerr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the verification, puts me at ease. I am a compulsive scanner/cleaner but still manage to get and find stuff occassionally. beakerr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users