Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 6.0

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mhmach

mhmach

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:18 PM

Internet explorer will only open a couple of websites. It will open the website to my bank and one or two others but will not open yahoo or msn or most other sites. This problem just started occurring. I tried reseting the internet security settings and defaults with no success. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:21 PM

Hello and Welcome to Bleeping Computer!

It sounds like your computer has most likely been hijacked. You can Start Here. Please be sure to follow all instructions otherwise it will only impair our ability to help you.

Edited by WlkingMan, 03 February 2006 - 07:21 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 mhmach

mhmach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

Afetr further investigation I've narrowed the problem down. It seems for some reason I can only open https sites, no http sites will open. Something about port 80 is not open? How do I reopen it?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

there may be an issue with your firewall. Please tell us a few specs about your PC.
Cpu,Ram, OS, Antivirus, Firewall
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:48 PM

What kind of router is it? Really all you need to know is the router's ip adress and then you can configure port forwarding (also known as "virtual servers").

Normaly the IP is either 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1.

Type those in your adress bar (one at A time of course) and tell me if anything comes up.

Edited by WlkingMan, 03 February 2006 - 08:49 PM.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#6 mhmach

mhmach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:52 PM

The problem is on a dell dimension 4550 pentium 4 2.4 Ghz running Windows XP home sp2. I just have the firewall provded with windows and have even tried turning it off with no result. Thank goodness I just got a laptop or I wouldn't even be able to log access this site! Appreciate any help you can provide.

#7 mhmach

mhmach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:53 PM

Oh by the way it's using a dial up connection and I have 512 ram if that matters.

#8 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:55 PM

Do you have A router?

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#9 mhmach

mhmach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

You'll have to forgive my ignorance. Not sure what exactly a router is but I don't think I have one.

#10 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:11 PM

A router is an external piece of hardware you would use to help direct LAN (network) traffic.

Ok, well seeing as apparently you don't have one: do you have any other firewalls or virus protection installed on your computer?

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#11 mhmach

mhmach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:18 PM

No I don't have a router and no other firewall other thatn the windows one. I have mcafee virus protection but I believe its out of date. If I type https://www.microsoft.com:443 in the address bar it opensthe website(but with some errors on the page). If i type the same thing except with :80 at the end I get the page cannot be displayed message. Does that tell you anything?

#12 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

Well I would go ahead and post A hijack this log. To do so go ahead and Start Here. Please be sure to follow all instructions otherwise it will only impair our ability to help you.

It would seem that you have something within your system causing this. If not then the log should tell us, and we can diagnose it from there.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#13 mhmach

mhmach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:12 PM

Ok I'll get to work on that. The only thing I won't be able to do is the malware step as I cannot access any of the websites listed from the affected computer and online scan it due to the problem I'm having. I'll complete the rest though and get back with you later. Thanks

#14 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:22 PM

You're very welcome! :thumbsup: I'm glad that we can take A huge step forward in helping you out. Please have patience when it comes to the response when you post your log. There are many logs to be looked at and they are evaluated in the order in which they are recieved. It shouldn't take more then A couple days though.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users