Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer and Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickiO

NickiO

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:45 AM

I am running a Gateway computer that is running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit. I am taking a class the requires me to access the Cisco Net Academy online (cisco.netacad.net)and until a month ago I was able to access it using Internet Explorer 9. Then following the latest upgrade to Flash Player I could no longer access it. To solve the problem, I restored my computer so I was using the previous version of Flash. This worked great until a week later when Windows updated automatically. Since then I have not been able to access the website. I have tried uninstalling Flash, emptying caches and making sure flash was completely removed, then reinstalling it, uninstalling IE9, changing settings on IE9, adding the Cisco website to the trusted list, I have asked my instructor for assistance (his solution was to download another browser or send Cisco an email asking for assistance), asking the website for help (they told me to ask my instructor for assistance)and I asked on another forum, but so far nothing I have tried has made any difference. An interesting aside is that the site has a flash movie on the log-in page that plays when I first get to the site, but then after logging in I'm told flash isn't installed.
Hopefully, someone here will be able to help me.
I finally broke down and downloaded Google Chrome (someone told me that the Cisco website runs great with Chrome) and while I am able to access the site when using Google, another problem showed up. There is a skills based assignment that requires Java to start the test that I have to access at the end of the class. When I click on the link, I get an error message that states that I dont' have JRE configured for the browser. I do.
While I am not a newbie at computer maintence, these problems have me stumped. I have done everything to assure that I have Flash and Java installed and correctly working on this system, but so far nothing has made any difference.
The screenshots I have included show the website after I log in, the page after I try to access the skills based assignment and the page that is supposed to tell how to correct any problems.
Help me, please!
NickiO

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

Have you been checking Java site here? http://www.java.com/en/download/help/index.xml - About Java and Google Chrome.

Tekken

#3 NickiO

NickiO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:17 AM

MMMM, yes...Java and Adobe were the first sites I checked when I started having problems. Nothing I have read or tried has made any difference to how my machine views that website.
I am beginning to think that the only way I am going to solve this problem is to start with a new format.
Thank you very much for reading and posting, jhayz!
NickiO

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

FWIW: As a general practice, I suggest running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...before any attempt do a clean install/restore/recovery operation.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#5 NickiO

NickiO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:46 AM

hamluis, I clicked on the link you included and downloaded SeagateSeaTools, but after I clicked to agree to the license, I got a fatal error message saying "Installation ended prematurely because of an error. When I clicked OK the setup ended.
Is it possible this has anything to do with my other problems? I really don't see how, but I thought I should at least ask.
NickiO

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:22 AM

If you have the time, it wouldn't hurt to try this... (in the order shown)

1. Download the latest version of IE9 and Chrome (don't install)

2. Download the latest version of Flash and Java (don't install)

3. Uninstall the previous installations: Flash > Java > IE9 > Chrome

4. Carry out a Disk Cleanup on the C: Drive (Windows Disk Cleanup)

4. Now install IE9 and Chrome

5. Install Flash and Java (make sure all the browsers are closed during this process)

6. Restart your computer and everything should go back to normal
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users