Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My helpctr.exe File disappeared

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greg EW

Greg EW

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

Hello, I'm new to this site, and it looks like it's pretty lively and helpful. I tried to search for past threads on this problem, but the Search function doesn't seem to recognize the "dot" in "helpctr.exe" and therefore comes up 'can't find.'

So here's the deal: This file is nowhere to be found, and I've tried restoring, the procedure suggested by Microsoft Answers tech assistant at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555472, and another procedure I found from that same source that says the following:

If you don't have an XP installation CD, change the Copy file from dialog (by clicking the Browse and Retry buttons) to point to the appropriate folder for each requested file:

dataspec.xml (c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386)
pchdt_w3.cab (c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries)
HCAppRes.dll (c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries)
atrace.dll (c:\windows\system32)

Reboot your system to be sure the installation is complete.

In this procedure I was able to find the dataspec.xml file, but I failed at the next line because pchdt_w3.cab wasn't in the binaries folder.

I read in one of those postings that inserting an SP2 disk didn't work because SP3 had been installed and the disk was rejected. This is my situation as well.

So before I spend $99 for a full-bore Microsoft Premium Support case, I thought I'd give this forum a shot. And it's not like I'd ever miss the Help and Support window, but now that I've spent so much time in this I thought I'd give it one more try before giving up.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide me.

Greg
Burlington, Vermont (way past my bedtime)

Edited by Greg EW, 09 December 2011 - 01:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

If you have a legitimate MS Genuine XP disk, you can update it to SP3 by slipstreaming that file in...using a tool like nLite.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial154.html

http://www.nliteos.com/guides.html

Louis

#3 Greg EW

Greg EW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

Thanks Louis.

I opened both links you gave me, but before I launch into this new adventure (they looked kind of daunting), would you be willing to venture an estimate of how much time it might take me--as kind of a medium-experienced but pretty competent computer user--to read all the information, download/install any new software and then follow the instructions through with all the necessary steps?

I'm not even going to ask you what you think my odds are for getting through all this to a success conclusion... :wink:

Greg.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

Well...the best answer I can give you is that...we all know how to read the written word...and those of us who went to use nLite or slipstream an XP CD (without the guidance I provided)...managed to eventually do it successfully.

I can't give time guidances for actions performed by myself, let alone someone other than me :).

If you think it's worth the time...you will do it. I can't tell you that it is...for you...but many others find it worthwhile and useful in the present and the future.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users