Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up base list

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eng1

eng1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

Hi,
Great Site. It has helped me a lot but also caused some big headaches. Kids have a wonderful way of making efficient computers run really slow and even stop. I recently used this site to scroll through the startup programs on my computer and using "msconfig" thinking I would clean it up a bit.
I have never been able to find a list of the startup programs that a clean simply installed OS would use and the many times I have had to reformat a disk you would think I would note them down after re-installing the OS.
Anyway- using this site I went through the list of startup programs and decided whether they needed to be there or not. One was qttxx.dll- forgotten the name- which it turns out is associated with Quick Time. This site advised that it didn't need to start up all the time etc.....so I removed it from the list.
Having run down the list and removed all "unnecessary" start-ups I merrily continued using the computer.
A couple of days later I tried to run an architectural drawing program by GRAPHISOFT called ARCHICAD 14. I hadn't started it for a few months. It started and "hung".
I use COMODO as a firewall and suspected it was the problem. Tried re-configuring COMODO- uninstalled-reinstalled ARCHICAD- removed COMODO (which I suspected was "blocking" the program as there was an alert in the COMODO defence log about ARCHICAD accessing memory which co-incided with my every attempt to start ARCHICAD) during which i got a "FATAL ERROR" message which subsequently caused my computer to post, start Windows, get to password screen then go into a reboot loop. This ran for 24 hours before I decided to "repair" the OS with the installation disk. To no avail- the upshot being I was now getting a message saying the OS needed "authorisation". I was now on a path of "No Return". Did a clean reinstall of OS, Uninstalled ARCHICAD uninstalled COMODO. Reinstalled ARCHICAD- same problem. Reinstalled COMODO. Decided to upgrade to ARCHICAD 15 as I still had suspicions that COMODO or a firewall was the culprit.
Installed ARCHICAD 15. New ARCHICAD 15 started, got to the same point as ARCHICAD 14 and "hung" but instead of nothing... a message popped up saying "CANNOT FIND qtxx.dll...try re-installing the program". At this stage I figured I had a dodgy program.
Scouring the internet I chanced upon a comment that someone had a problem with program not opening around qtxx.dll and they had copied it from Quick Time and put it into the WINDOWS system directory and problem was solved.
I did the same and now both my ARCHICAD programs open. Had the upgraded Archicad 15 not provided the clue I would have been heading for a re-format.
Now I just have to figure out which one of the start up files I deleted from startup, stops PDF's from opening when clicked from a browser. The PDF's open fine from my computer- just not over the internet.
I am not sure whether what I am about to say is correct but maybe where the advice says "this program does not need to start automatically" it might be worth noting that "it is worth checking that this file is in the appropriate "Operating System" folder before you remove it so that it doesn't affect programs that might need it"
What ended up seeming to be "major problems" which consumed hour after hour were really quite simple- albiet hard to resolve with only one computer and no access to internet.
The original "STOP" -Blue screen of death- associated with unistalling COMODO- turned out to be a file "inspect.sys" which when found and renamed allowed the computer to start normally. COMODO was not stopping ARCHICAD from opening- it was just a quicktime".dll" file.
I do note the disclaimer advising people should know what they are doing before they muck around with their computers.
I am sure there are plenty of people out there that have had very small computer problems that have escalated into major disasters.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

You have two spellings for that file in your post here, neither of which is found in our startup database.

qtxx.dll

and

qttxx.dll

It is impossible to create a list of files needed for a clean install of any specific windows operating system because computers are constructed differently with different components requiring different startup files.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users