Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dr Frankenstein needs YOUR help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elecjester

elecjester

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

Hello,

I am having some issues with my PC.

Suffice to say I cannot recovery install (from the CD at boot, or from inside windows with an upgrade install).

I currently have 1 partition - with 2 installs of windows xp pro 64 on it.

1 install is utterly borked from malware (since removed) and the other install is fresh and clean and works just dandy ... except none of my files are there.

Is there any way to merge these installs and preserve my file structure?

Formatting is not an option.

I might have access to a windows 7 CD but correct me if I am wrong, you can't upgrade from XP pro 64 to win 7 64 (can you upgrade from vista 64? if so maybe I could try and track down a vista 64 copy, upgrade to that, and then to windows 7 64)

any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:47 AM

Suffice to say I cannot recovery install (from the CD at boot, or from inside windows with an upgrade install).

No idea what that means.

As for "merging" the installations, no - you cannot do that. You can copy files from the old version of Windows to the new one, but I'd be very careful doing that since you say the original installation was infected. Regardless of the fact you say a format is not an option, it may very well be the right thing to do.

#3 elecjester

elecjester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:30 PM

Not sure how you have "no idea what that means" - it was pretty self evident.

There is usually an "R" option, given when you boot your computer with your windows disc, allowing you to repair your installation. I did not have that.

Nor could I do a "upgrade" install from starting the install process from within windows (ie: once windows was already started).

As an adviser, I would think you would know this stuff...

In any case - it's a moot point now.

Spent 15+ hrs backing up data (hundreds of gigs), and formatted, upgraded to win 7 ult

This thread can be closed now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users